• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank interchangablility

All the steel 4.0 gas tanks and pumps are interchangeable, but some earlier ones, though they are the same physical size, do not hold the full 20 gallons. Make sure if you can that you get a proper 20 gallon one. Unfortunately, I don't know how to identify one from the other, but I'd opt for the most deluxe model of donor, all else being equal. If you're looking at used, look very very carefully at the tank, and make sure there are no rust holes developing on the top, and that there's no seepage at the seam. It may depend on where you live, but corrosive crud can come to rest on the top and eat through it, and though you'll never see the leak you'll smell it. Take one with top rust only if it's free (you can epoxy the holes). Don't bother with any tank that is getting damp around the seam. You can't seal that kind of leak.

the only real visual difference in the tanks is the location of the filler tube going into the tank. it's located slightly higher up the tank "body" on the 20 gal. version vs. the little tanks slightly lower tube location. that make any sense?

Also there is a difference in the fuel level sending unit. Dont hold me to it but I believe 91 and below are one style and 92 and newer are a different style. My 88 shows E whenever I fill up. I refuel at about 3/4 full.

Osmin C said:
Also there is a difference in the fuel level sending unit. Dont hold me to it but I believe 91 and below are one style and 92 and newer are a different style. My 88 shows E whenever I fill up. I refuel at about 3/4 full.

that could make for an interesting anti-theft device, if you left it parked while it showed "full". :laugh:

Back