• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Questions

SFW516

NAXJA Forum User
I salvged some parts out of a NP242 tranfer case that got destroyed in a wreck. I have a 231 in my 90 XJ that I am looking at putting a 4.5 inch lift on. So I was hoping that I can salvage this SYE.

I want to find out if this will even work before I tear into my transfer case. This yoke doesn't look much like any of the SYE I see other people putting in. So if you could take a look at the pictures and give me an idea of what needs to happen that would be great.

xjpics001.jpg

xjpics003.jpg

xjpics004.jpg

xjpics005.jpg

xjpics007.jpg

xjpics008.jpg

No, you can't use the SYE from your 242 on the 231.

You can sell it to help pay for a 231 sye, though.

H-n-T kits fit both the 231 and the 242(in the same year group).You would have to cut down your shaft though.

So is this a new shaft in this thing or is it just cut down? Not knowing what went into this I am wondering what is part of the kit and what is OEM.

And does anyone know of a kit that will work in my 231 that will also work with this style driveshaft?

picture006bfo.jpg

I'm not sure what that flange adapter on the CV end is doing there - that definitely needs to be different for it to work with a normal SYE setup, unless you get a 27 spline np231 rear output shaft flange adapter with the same bolt pattern.

That Adapter flange on the CV shaft is to connect to a Hack N Tap SYE kit

X2 what Cal said,, sell that SYE kit, and if money is an issue, look into Hack N Tap SYE kit,,, I know rubicon express makes one

Ok thanks for the info. Does anyone have some links of prefered places to get the variety SYE that I need? That would be helpful. Anyways if anyone has a hack N tap SYE laying around that will work maybe we can work out a trade.

TW,MIT,Currie,RE,etc! Almost all the H-n-T kits use a flange style.

The output shafts on the 231 and 242 are different. You will not be able to move the previously modified output shaft into the 231.

However the only SYE available for a 242 is hack-n-tap. Therefore you have a hack-n-tap assembly.

If the previous assembly was installed on the 242's existing shaft (and not a replacement shaft ala Tom Woods) and did not use a 242-specific seal, then you may be able cut and drill the 231 output shaft and use the old assembly parts to make a working SYE. That's a lot of 'if' and I would be really hesitant about trying it without figuring out exactly what you've got, whether the parts are sold for 231 and 242, etc.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here, I am probably not seeing something obvious. But the way I see it it looks like the parts I have are doing the same thing as the RE kit for the 231 - http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=152

So what are the parts here that aren't compatable? Is the bolt pattern off or the number of splines on the yoke?

The output shafts on the 231 and 242 are different. You will not be able to move the previously modified output shaft into the 231.

However the only SYE available for a 242 is hack-n-tap. Therefore you have a hack-n-tap assembly.

If the previous assembly was installed on the 242's existing shaft (and not a replacement shaft ala Tom Woods) and did not use a 242-specific seal, then you may be able cut and drill the 231 output shaft and use the old assembly parts to make a working SYE. That's a lot of 'if' and I would be really hesitant about trying it without figuring out exactly what you've got, whether the parts are sold for 231 and 242, etc.

242's tailcone has 4 bolts, 231 is 5-bolt.

The kits are the same for both the 231 & 242 for any given year!!!!!!!!

Back