• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this and can I Cut it out ?

Hylander

NAXJA Forum User
1997 4.0
What is this Bubble in my Exhaust and can I Cut it out ?
Probably an expansion chamber, but is it necassary ?
I am trying to replace my Trans Solenoids and this will not let
the Pan drop.
I can not move the Exhaust forward or back without cutting it, so I have to cut the Exhaust on the side of the trans so I can get a cuppler on it to reinstall it.
But if I cut that Bubble out and install the same size tube, the Pan would come out.
I do live in California and have to Smog.

IMG_0509.jpg

Last edited:
cut it out!!! i've put that motor in my old jeep, and i had a header and straight pipe to a glass pack, and never had an issue. it won't hurt the jeep. what year is yours? i think you'll be fine, but i don't hafta pass emissions testing...

can't do that in Lincoln, I got put through the gauntlet when I got smogged with a 04 TJ when I lived out there

Thought expansion chambers really only worked well with 2 strokes. I know mine doesn't have that bulge.

can't do that in Lincoln, I got put through the gauntlet when I got smogged with a 04 TJ when I lived out there
lastarai'm glad i live where i do then... i wouldn't even try to pass smog. hell, i'm suppposed to here, but my parents live in a county where you don't hafta, so as far as anybody knows, i live with them...

Why not take all the hangers loose and shift the exhaust...or take it down from the collector?

your jeep probably just ate a rat

Why not take all the hangers loose and shift the exhaust...or take it down from the collector?

Can't shift it, 1" back hits the Trans Bell Housing.
Can't shift forwad because of the Collector bolts.
It has to drop straight down and the only way that can happen is if I unbolt the whole Exhaust system and drop the Trans Crossmember.

Can't shift it, 1" back hits the Trans Bell Housing.
Can't shift forwad because of the Collector bolts.
It has to drop straight down and the only way that can happen is if I unbolt the whole Exhaust system and drop the Trans Crossmember.

So just unbolt the whole thing. Trust me it's a lot easier and cheaper than trying to fab something in there.

that looks like a pre-cat to me. are there bolts or studs in the manifold? maybe lifting the rear of the will let the pan out. just undo the mount and see how far up the trans will go.

zedpapa

No precat in a '97, thinking though its just the joint where it goes from smaller dia. to 2.25

my 97 has the same thing, I always thought it was a precat, lousy CA smog nazis and all, perhaps someone with a non-CA '97 could see if they have the same deal

also FWIW I've had the pan off to change the filter and don't recall having any issues:dunno:

Unbolt the exhaust and drop it. It'll be easier in the long run.

Cut it out, make your repairs, then weld in a stainless stell flex piece.

my 97 has the same thing, I always thought it was a precat, lousy CA smog nazis and all, perhaps someone with a non-CA '97 could see if they have the same deal

also FWIW I've had the pan off to change the filter and don't recall having any issues:dunno:

MIne doesn't have it. It must be a Cali thing!

OK:
Well I didn't to cut it after all.
After taking alittle time to assess the situation better.
I realized that my TC drop was binding up the entire exhaust system.
I removed the TC drop and put the TC back up where it should be and the exhaust was able to be moved out of the way without cutting it.
So now I must install a H&T SYE, which I was going to do anyway, just didn't want to have to do it right now.

So did the solenoids fix it? I know you've had quite a few threads up and have been chasing this problem for a while. Got my fingers crossed for ya.

Re: SYE kits, IMHO you should reconsider and go with a good quality unit, not a hack'n tap.

So did the solenoids fix it? I know you've had quite a few threads up and have been chasing this problem for a while. Got my fingers crossed for ya.

Re: SYE kits, IMHO you should reconsider and go with a good quality unit, not a hack'n tap.
What if he has a NP242

Back