• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny cooler quick connects...

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting a CSF 2 core tomorrow, and want to be ready since the jeep will be un-drivable from start to finish. Just a few questions so everything goes smoothly. I've been looking at the "quick" connects and can't figure them out short of a hacksaw.
1. does anyone know if the new rad will have a quick connect already on it?

2. How do I get those (connects) suckers off?

3. If I find a way to mangle the original quick connects how would I go about making a solid connection (with clamps?) , do I have to break off or cut anything off the hardline side of the rad?

ANY input is appreciated since I'll likely be doing this in the rain, wah wah I know lol!

i used a flathead screwdriver without a problem. but if you do mess it up or just cut, you can use hose clamps no problem

I initially fought the "quick" connects when I installed my CSF, too. Then I figured out that you have to PUSH the tranny line further onto the radiator outlet and then squeeze the plastic ears and it slid right off.

Different year xj's have different clips. Do you have the ones that look like you could squeeze them and pop it off or the internal tab kind? Use the push in and squeeze method for the first or screwdriver method for the latter (PITA). Or you can buy the Chrysler quick disconnect tools at Autozone or wherever, might be easier in the long run and you can use them for A/C lines as well.

On my 99 I bought fuel line disconnect tools from Napa. Can't remember if 3/8 or 5/16 but it worked fine for me. I think it was 3/8.

Push the plastic tool into the connector then pull the connector off.

I bought the disco tool, and new orings. Easy to take apart (assuming you don't punch something when it pops loose), and easy to put together. No leaks.

If you mangle the connectors, they're cheap. Dorman makes clips and O rings for them. You can probably buy NOS connectors as well. It was 3/8ths for mine.

I am getting a CSF 2 core tomorrow, and want to be ready since the jeep will be un-drivable from start to finish. Just a few questions so everything goes smoothly. I've been looking at the "quick" connects and can't figure them out short of a hacksaw.
1. does anyone know if the new rad will have a quick connect already on it?

2. How do I get those (connects) suckers off?

3. If I find a way to mangle the original quick connects how would I go about making a solid connection (with clamps?) , do I have to break off or cut anything off the hardline side of the rad?

ANY input is appreciated since I'll likely be doing this in the rain, wah wah I know lol!
Quick disconnects are the devil. End of story. Mine were so full of road dirt that they were neither "quick" nor "disconnects", they were more "knuckle busting junctions from hell". Luckily I was replacing all the radiator lines so I just took lineman's pliers to them and cut pieces off till the problem went away. I say use hose clamps, at least you can use a dremel with a cutoff wheel to take those off easily if they jam.

Back