• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T case issues

242_cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 231 t case. the part time light used to come on but now it dont. changed the fluid but still no dice... it will shift into 4wd but sometimes she don't want to come out. 99 xj aw4 4.0 231 thanks guys

Not sure how to check or adjust the linkage. I pulled the cluster out and swapped the part time and full time bulbs. I dont have a 242 so the full time light will never come on. still no dice. I ordered a t case swich from AZ because i found out that the OE swich is highly failure prone. When i get it and put it in we'll see what happens.

Not sure how to check or adjust the linkage. I pulled the cluster out and swapped the part time and full time bulbs. I dont have a 242 so the full time light will never come on. still no dice. I ordered a t case swich from AZ because i found out that the OE swich is highly failure prone. When i get it and put it in we'll see what happens.

cant you just bridge/connect the wires/terminals that go into the transfercase switch to see if the light comes on?

Put the shift lever in 4lo, with a 3mm (1/8") spacer (drill bit) between the lever and the shift gate, and use a bungee cord to hold it in place.

Crawl under the XJ, loosen the linkage adjusting bolt, then ensure the transfer case is fully seated in 4lo, tighten the locking bolt--you're done.

Where is this shift gate? do i gotta tear out the center console and all that? and should i lock it into 4lo with the heep on to make sure its totally in? Dumb questions but this is my first time messing with this t case.

Where is this shift gate? do i gotta tear out the center console and all that? and should i lock it into 4lo with the heep on to make sure its totally in? Dumb questions but this is my first time messing with this t case.

Pull up the console. The shift gate is the sheet metal piece attached to the trans hump that controls where the t/case lever can go. You don't have to have the engine running as you will have the linkage adjusting bolt loose and then be ensuring that the t/case lever if fully in 4lo when you are under the vehicle.

I'm having a similar issue, light won't come on, not even sure it's engaging at all. Haven't tried putting it in 4lo yet. How do I ensure that the t-case is in 4-lo? Where exactly am I looking for this lever? Sorry, I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but not totally.

Take a light with you under the XJ. Driver's side of the transfer case, the drive shaft and yoke in your face, there is a flat steel piece attached to the transfer case with a nut on one end, and a rod is stuck in a grommet on the other end.

That rod is the lower shift rod, it runs up to the torque bar that is attached to the body and the transfer case bracket. Another rod runs off the torque bar up to the transfer case shift lever.

Hope that helps you.

i have a different issue, mine shifted fine before my t-case drop kit, i lowered it 1.25" and now 4 low grinds but wont go in, i adjusted thhe linkage about .5 to .75 towards the end of the shaft, well now my linkage hits the front nut and still wont go into 4 low, did i adjust too much? i know my gate inside the jeep is fubar after i moved the linkage but thats another issue... can i get a drop kit for my shift linkage? sorry if i thread jacked the op

Question: Did you put an adapter bracket on the underside of the lever when you did the tc drop, or just put in the spacers and bolts?

If you didn't put the adapter in, your linkage is probably binding.

Question: Did you put an adapter bracket on the underside of the lever when you did the tc drop, or just put in the spacers and bolts?

If you didn't put the adapter in, your linkage is probably binding.

actually i just put in the 1" spacers in the cross member... my buddy gave me the custom made 1x2 spacers for free and said all i had to do was adjust the linkage =/

One side of the torque bar is attached to the body, the other to the trans case. When you spacer down the cross member the linkage relationships change.

I can't post a link to a set of installation instructions that have great photos of the adapter plate, their server is down for maint, but PM me your email and I will send a copy to you.

If that doesn't solve your problem, Novak makes a shifter for the NP 231 ($150), or Advanced Adapters makes bracket adapter for the 231, a lot less money but you may need a TJ part to use it.

If you have a NP 242 there may be other solutions out there.

i saw an awesome setup from BS fabrications, but it involves going out to the junk yard to pick up a S-10 linkage etc, and im not confident in fabbing it up and it not working, my xj is already a rust bucket, thats all i need is to break another something on my xj trying to remove it

Back