• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Spring Decisions

dgwelsh

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I recently acquired a 94 XJ. Both leaf springs are shot. Passenger side was only held on by ubolts and weight of the vehicle. I reside in MD. Currently the vehicle is not titled to me, but will be soon. To legally tag it, it must be inspected. Replacing the leaf springs is no big deal, but I would like to increase the ride height and run a larger tire at some point and therefore would install a lift kit. Since the leaf packs are shot now I am looking for advice.

My questions; will a moderately (3-4") lift Jeep pass MD inspection? If yes I would install the lift now. If not, Quadratec replacement leaf packs or go to the local junk yard? (they want about 50 per pack but appear to be in ok to good shape.)

The leaves are currently off the jeep b/c they would never have passed inspection. Thanks in advance.
dgwelsh

ummm, you generally use s-10 leafs to build a bastard pack. I'm pretty sure most people don't try and use the whole leaf pack as a replacement for an XJ one - could be wrong, I went straight for OME springs instead of bastard packing it.

dgwelsh - I know there are at least a half dozen guys on here from MD, mostly lifted to various degrees. Hopefully one of them will show up and chime in with how inspection works out for lifted Jeeps in MD. I know the cops in PA are sticklers for flares covering the tires and bumper height, but not much about MD.

Thanks guys.

Flatlander-the springs I took off are not usable at all. Would the S10 springs just swap right in?

Kastein-I think I can get away with about 3" and get through inspection but am on a bit of a time restraint. Not to mention $ is an issue....Just checked out the OME-ooooo they look like just the ticket. Thanks.

dgwelsh

According to my supersecret sources :)D) I was slightly mistaken. S10 springs might fit in OK if you use a boomerang shackle, but might not. Search for Cher96's "favorite bastard pack donor choices" thread, I'm not sure if that's the exact terms to use but searching for threads started by cher96 containing the words "bastard pack" should find it.

As for the OME springs I used - I like em, they got me about 3.5"... $160 for the front coils, $240 or so for the rear leafs, advertised as getting about 2" but got me 3.5". I didn't use a kit, I spent about 100 bucks on OEM replacement bushings/bolts/stuff on quadratec and z&m jeeps and had already replaced my shocks with ultra crappy autismzone specials a few months prior, so I'm running those till I blow them up. Don't know if that's within your budget or lift limits though.

No, its not unlimited budget but I can afford to get it done. The expression cut once measure twice comes to mind though. I appreciate the input and for now I think I am going to keep it simple by avoiding bastard packs.
best
dgwelsh

Back