• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 sputtering around corners :(

Cornflake

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm taking a drive through the mountains this evening on 299 West up here in NorCal and my 89 XJ with a half of tank of gas starts sputtering everytime I take a corner at highway speed. I also noticed it doing it going downhill but not up. Now I know the guage isn't off because I just filled her up a few hours earlier. I've had this happen on carbeurated (sp) engines before and it was the float or whatever it happen to be, but never on a fuel injected vehicle. The ball and chain who has been driving it more than me lately, said it's pretty common around turns for it to sputter like it has no gas. Did the pick-up in the tank move? How do you get into your gas tank? Rip the carpet off the cargo area and go from there? Any idea's would be helpful.

you can get in the tank from the top of the front of the tank, above the axle and driveshaft, there is a large hole to which the pump and sender connect.

i dont know, however, how easy it is to get in the tank from there. you cant get to it from inside.

-Tim

my rig is a 89 renix so it doesn't throw codes. i would think if it was a sensor that it would do it all of the time and not just when cornering. maybe when i'm turning something is shorting out. i'll check that this weekend, along with trying to get into the tank and see if there is a problem inside.

check the wireing comeing from pump/sending unit........ make sure some how they havent gotten chaffed ...and are grounding on the frame or something ...mine does it to ..and i have no idea what it is ..but does it more when about empty of gass..it got alittle better when i changed the fuel filter

My dads did this, drove me nuts for a while. His motor mounts were shot as well as his tranny mount. The transmission fill tube rubbed through the wiring harness up where the dip stick is. It would only ground out if he was going up hill or making turns, other wise it ran fine.

Back