• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Pinion Gear - Need Help with Markings for Checking Distance

CaliGold

NAXJA Forum User
Need some help from you gearing gurus. I'm replacing the factory 3.55 gears in my D30 but cannot determine what the checking distance marking is on the pinion.

I know the 233 is the ID for matching the ring and pinion set, but not sure what the "K0" means. Usually it's a + or - followed by a number for the checking distance. Wondering if the "K0" refers to a checking distance of zero? Anybody in the know?

These are factory Dana 30 gears from my 97.
d30pinionmarkings.jpg

Thanks for your help.

I normally start out with the pinion with only the oil slinger washer and see what kind of pattern I get with that. It usually only takes one or two adjustments to get the pinion depth right. I put my faith in the pattern I see rather than someone else's measurement, partly because the case can actually deform slightly in use so the numbers can be thrown off anyway. If you need any help before about 12:30 or after about 3:00 you can call me at (951) 225-5551. John

John, I was actually hoping you'd chime in since you seem very knowledgeable in this area. Instead of going by the markings, I decided make/purchase some setup bearings for the pinion in addition to the ones I bought for the carrier. It seems I may have to do a bit of trial and error on the pinion since the markings are vague. Thanks for offering your help. I'll keep your number handy. I spent the afternoon transferring my Aussie locker from my old carrier to the one I got from you.:clap:

Check the ring gear, its probably engraved on there. Most likely will be around 2.20"-2.30"

Hmmm. Couldn't find any engravings on the ring gear. Gonna "trial and error" the pinion depth till it's right using setup bearings. I'll start with the current shim stack (only a .060 oil slinger and a .020 baffle behind inner pinion cup plus adjustment for markings on new pinion) and go from there.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Couldn't find any engravings on the ring gear. Gonna "trial and error" the pinion depth till it's right using setup bearings. I'll start with the current shim stack (only a .060 oil slinger and a .020 baffle behind inner pinion cup plus adjustment for markings on new pinion) and go from there.

It all depends on the manufacturer, I use Yukons and they always engrave the pinion depth on the ring gear on the D-30 gear sets. Some manufacturers do not even bother with it. Starting with the original shim stack and a set-up bearing will get the job done just as easy since the suggested pinion depth on a gear set is rarely where you will end up at. To many variances in the housings.

Back