• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting cable driven speedo to electronic?

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
This is something I thought would have been covered on here more times than it has which is 0 as far as I have found. Is there any way to do it? I know the <1990 came with the speedo cable screwed into the T-Case and 91+ have a wiring harness sticking out. I'm not real sure how to go about doing this. Can you just swap out the part in the T-Case and get a new cluster and you're good to go? Do you have to supply power to any wires? Has anyone done this or am I just dreamin here? Any insight would be fantastic.
Thanks,
Collin

langer1 said:
The electronic speedo is driven by the ECM, it's not a stand alone item.
So it's pretty impossible short of switching out the whole front wiring harness, yeah?

The reason I wanted to do it is so I could swap to the 97+ dash. And...my cable is constantly falling out so I have to get on my back and shove it back on the cluster, which I don't care for. I've got a 91+ transfer case with the harness sticking out that's why I figured it might be that simple. But I suppose nothing with Jeep could be.

BigBlackHeep said:
The reason I wanted to do it is so I could swap to the 97+ dash. And...my cable is constantly falling out so I have to get on my back and shove it back on the cluster, which I don't care for. I've got a 91+ transfer case with the harness sticking out that's why I figured it might be that simple. But I suppose nothing with Jeep could be.
You could always just swap out jeeps! Or engine and computer too boot!

Ghost said:
Or engine and computer too boot!
That may end up happening in the future, but too much of a PITA right now. I'm not too sweet with complex wiring either so...I guess without doing the whole wiring harness it probably would've been a little past me anyway.

Back