• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tricks to Attach Top Radiator Hose

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any tricks or helpful advise on how to attach the top radiator hose to the T-stat housing? Although I have done this a few times, I am constantly frustrated in trying to reattach the top hose to the T-stat housing. The heater hose & flange coming out of the T-stat housing just doesn't allow enough room to install the top radiator hose. I usually end up using a screwdriver, hammer, or some other means of force to get the hose on there. Then there's the clamp to fight to put on over it.

Has anyone come up with a slick way to install this hose?

I don't remember having trouble with this, but you could try putting it on the t/stat housing before attaching it to the radiator.

have you replaced the hose? maybe its shrunk up and the rubber has gotten hard. it shouldnt be that hard. mine slips on off really easy, and i have a screw type clamp that slips right over. takes about 30 seconds to take off.

It's a new hose that I'm trying to install. I am also using a screw type clamp. The heater hose is not new, so that may be part of the problem. Maybe I have an oddball T-stat housing, but those two hoses have always been a bear to re-install.

I took mine and put the end in boiling water for a few seconds before slipping it on the tstat.

I need to amend my original post. The problem is not with the proximity of the heater hose coming off of the T-stat housing, but the one coming off the water pump. The water pump has that one tube that extends up behind the idler pulley next to the A/C compressor. It is that tube (and the hose on it) that is causing the problem. I am having absolutely no luck with the new hose, but I can get the old hose back on. I'm afraid I may need to actually remove the water pump and reinstall the heater tube (or maybe bend it) before I can get the new hose and clamp on. I will try the WD40 or the boiling water before I go that route. Because of other commitments, it may be until after Christmas before I can deal with the water pump. I don't want the Jeep sitting around that long.

The WD40 did the trick, although I still had to fight to get the clips into place. However, I got everything back together. I'll put the coolant back in tomorrow and I should be good to go. Thanks again for everyone's help.

I also use boiling water. It saved me a lot of hassle getting a 12 year old gas tank fill hose onto a barb 1/8" to 1/4" larger than the hose was meant for. Still works great.

Back