• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home fabriated laptop mount. (56K beware)

stumpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Figured I would post up a little laptop mount I fabircated. I have been wanting to make or buy a mount for my laptop since I can now use it for navigation, but the prices on the pre-made stuff (RAM, Etc) is a bit much. Especially since I am currently unemployed. I have a small machine shop at my house, and like little projects like this. Time I have, extra money I dont.

Everything I used I had a scraps. It is 90% finished, but I still need to:

Cut off about 2" of the vertical mount, as its a little too high.
Add a locking screw/pin for the rotating portion of the actual mount.
Make a quick disconnect for the entire mount, since it will only be used when I do road trips or exploring, not for daily driving.

It can also be used by my passenger/navigator/wife for whatever (surfing, watching video etc) just by spinning the mount to that side.

This laptop is a touchscreen/notebook type laptop, so it keeps the size down to a minimum, and can be easily used with the navigation software without needing the keyboard.

I drove around with it today, and its very stable, although the real test will be on some washboard roads. So far so good though.

I think the pics will be self explanatory, but I will add info to a few. The round tubing is 3/4" HREW, and a piece of 1 inch 1/8th thick angle for the seat mount. The laptop tray is all machined Delrin. and holds the laptop very securely with the latch system on the rear. Obviously, doing this my self I was able to customize it to fit my computer, as apposed to a universal type mount.

I ran out of Argon in my Hobart MIG set-up, so I used my other welder with flux core. Crappy splatter, but I magaed to get most of it off.

The pics:

DSCN1383.jpg

DSCN1384.jpg

DSCN1385.jpg

DSCN1386.jpg

DSCN1387.jpg

DSCN1353.jpg

DSCN1355.jpg

DSCN1357.jpg

DSCN1358.jpg

DSCN1360.jpg

DSCN1363.jpg

DSCN1364.jpg

DSCN1365.jpg

DSCN1366.jpg

LOL.... Not for sale. In order for me to make money on something like this with my time, you could probably buy three set-ups from RAM. Spent way to much time doing it, but my time is pretty free right now...

Thanks!!

~James

Looks good, but how are you supposed to pay attention to so many screens? lol

I'd advise against the little latch thing going over the battery.. to give you an idea what might happen when you're on the road.. grab the beam thing you have it mounted to and hold it straight up with the laptop in it exactly the same way you have it in the jeep.. now shake it... let me know what happens.. lol

I've got 20$ that says it brakes the plastic holding the battery in. Now imagine that while wheeling... mmm laptop in the face...

Looks pretty sweet. But the pole holding up seems like it will be the weak point. Only being bolted to the seat braket makes it top heavy.

I don't want to alarm you but it looks as if the devil is hiding in your garage, also, any chance you have better shots of the radio console, been thinking about adding a lcd screen like yours

Nice job. What is the material the laptop sitting on? It looked like plastic when you were cutting on the mill but then I noticed you could tap threads into it.

Nice job. What is the material the laptop sitting on? It looked like plastic when you were cutting on the mill but then I noticed you could tap threads into it.
I was wondering what the material was as well. Looks like Delrin?

I don't want to alarm you but it looks as if the devil is hiding in your garage, also, any chance you have better shots of the radio console, been thinking about adding a lcd screen like yours
Scroll down.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=968082

Great laptop mount.

Thanks all, yeah its Delrin like I mentioned in the post. Its not going anywhere, Delrin is hard stuff.

Like I also mentioned in the post (does anyone read anymore...lol), this will be used for road trips and exploring, NOT for wheeling. No need for a laptop when I am in the rough stuff. I use this jeep for a lot of camping and expedition style travel. When I am not on a road trip, it wont even be in the Jeep.

Figured I would post up a little laptop mount I fabircated. I have been wanting to make or buy a mount for my laptop since I can now use it for navigation, but the prices on the pre-made stuff (RAM, Etc) is a bit much. Especially since I am currently unemployed. I have a small machine shop at my house, and like little projects like this. Time I have, extra money I dont.

Everything I used I had a scraps. It is 90% finished, but I still need to:

Cut off about 2" of the vertical mount, as its a little too high.
Add a locking screw/pin for the rotating portion of the actual mount.
Make a quick disconnect for the entire mount, since it will only be used when I do road trips or exploring, not for daily driving.

It can also be used by my passenger/navigator/wife for whatever (surfing, watching video etc) just by spinning the mount to that side.

This laptop is a touchscreen/notebook type laptop, so it keeps the size down to a minimum, and can be easily used with the navigation software without needing the keyboard.

I drove around with it today, and its very stable, although the real test will be on some washboard roads. So far so good though.

I think the pics will be self explanatory, but I will add info to a few. The round tubing is 3/4" HREW, and a piece of 1 inch 1/8th thick angle for the seat mount. The laptop tray is all machined Delrin. and holds the laptop very securely with the latch system on the rear. Obviously, doing this my self I was able to customize it to fit my computer, as apposed to a universal type mount.

I ran out of Argon in my Hobart MIG set-up, so I used my other welder with flux core. Crappy splatter, but I magaed to get most of it off.

The pics:

Back