• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Master Cylinder???

94HOCHEROKEE

NAXJA Forum User
Today I was driving to work and all of a sudden my brake peddle was way easier to push.....:shiver: I dont know if the recently installed turn down on my exhaust which is kind of pointing at my rear brake hard line caused the fluid to overheat??? I put the turndown on to stop the exhaust blasting my rear diff causing the diff to be HOT to the touch, now it's just blasting the top of the axle tube where the hardline is.

I also just recently repaired my vac. reservoir bottle after being broken at the end for 3-5 yrs., I noticed that when I first started the car and pressed the peddle to go into gear that I heard the Vac. sound and the brakes seemed to work better. Now they feel like they are the same again. But when I push them down the still have vac. sound.

I also was going about 15 mph and slammed on the brakes and they went to the floor and didn't even come close to locking the tires up. But still felt like the way they did before the vac res. install. I still have "good vac" I think, because I have my "new" vent heat and no more constant defrost......
31x10.5 15 AT2's and 4"'s of lift.
Any input is appreciated,
Jason:compwork:

Last edited:
You need to do a full brake inspection if your pedal went to the floor--it is not safe to drive.

Yes, having the exhaust pipe blowing on the brake lines is bad.

To test the power booster, engine off, pump the pedal 4 times and then hold it down, start the engine and the pedal should drop about 1". If it does the power booster is doing its job, if not replace it.

Your pedal going to the floor is BAD--find the cause.

the brake vac line and AC/heat vac lines on my jeep are two diffrent lines. so when my brake boost went bad the AC/heat was still able to keep working.
I bet your MPG went up a bit when you fixed your vac reservoir bottle.

Texas does not let you have exhaust systems that does not vent out past the back or side of the car becouse of chance of CO2 building up in side the car.

You need to do a full brake inspection if your pedal went to the floor--it is not safe to drive.

Yes, having the exhaust pipe blowing on the brake lines is bad.

To test the power booster, engine off, pump the pedal 4 times and then hold it down, start the engine and the pedal should drop about 1". If it does the power booster is doing its job, if not replace it.

Your pedal going to the floor is BAD--find the cause.
Well I did the pedal trick and it seems that the booster is in fact working. I was driving it again and it seems like the pedal will have better pressure at random.

I looked at the pedal and wasn't going to the floor like I had previously thought but like I said the pressure will come and go at random.

Master Slave maybe going out???

Thanks again:wave1:

Back