• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the correct way to shift a 242

arsxj1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 93 XJ Auto with a NP242. It seemsthe only way to get it to come out is to roll in reverse alittle and put it in drive. Not fast maybee 2mph or so. Is there a correct way to shift the 242? Ive heard of bent linkages from doing it wrong...

I haven't heard of bent linkages from doing it wrong.

It can take a little bit to become accustomed to getting out of it, but I have no problem on my 242 anymore. Usually while still rolling, with foot off the gas, at a pretty decent speed (around 10mph or so, depends where I am), I'll push it down to 2wd, then give it a quick little push on the gas. That usually clicks it back to 2wd if it doesn't want to go in. Stopping and switching between drive and reverse usually always works too.

Treat it like shifting a bicycle--it's easiest if the powertrain is unloaded and hardest when you are at a dead stop. The way I do it is move straight forward at a steady clip, put the transmission in neutral, and slowly and deliberately move through the transfer case gears, then put the transmission back into gear and you should be good. If it doesn't feel like it engaged in one of the shfits, bump the gas to rock the powertrain and it'll fall into position.

I swapped in a 242 and shifter/linkages into my son's 96 and I think I'm going to swap it back out for a 231 only due to the engagement/dis-engagement issues. For some reason the 242 T-case is pickier than most about shifting. This thread makes me feel better that its just not us that has issues with them

Some 242s are smooth on engagement/disengagement (mine is) but some not so much.

One thing I have found is that you have a problem DISENGAGING your t-c, check the air pressure on your tires. If you have one that is significantly low, this will create an imbalanced condition and creates problems with disengaging of the transfer case.

Back