• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunk/pops and now it runs cold? Huh?

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
Driving my 99 on the freeway behind an 18 wheeler today, zoned out when suddenly a handful of loud pops spooked me :scared:. It sounded like rocks or bolts were being flung against the floor or firewall and I think I could feel the vibrations in my feet.

The jeep continued to run and drive just fine, but I noticed that my temp gauge was lower than normal. I switched my scangauge to display water temp and it showed 164. Wha? It normally runs about 185 and it was fully warmed up. It stayed cool for the whole drive, ranging from 163 to 166. I even turned the heat on and it did blow hot but it didn't seem quite as hot as normal.

When I got home I popped the hood and looked underneath but didn't notice anything unusual. Any ideas what could have caused this? Anything I should look out for?
:helpme:
Oh, and I averaged almost 21mph on that trip, so mileage didn't drop either.

Back