• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Preventative maintenance?

joelevelis

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ /4.0/ Auto/4WD /194K DD

Jeep has had all of the routine problems and fixes. RMS/Wheel & Carrier Bearings/ Oil seals Etc.
Throttle body and IAC have been cleaned several times. runs great except for the occasional hot start cyl 3 misfire issue.
All of the engine sensors are original equipment.

Should I look at replacing sensors as a preventative measure?

Joe

i would replace or keep a spare cps as it is a no start sensor. you may want to inspect/clean the nss as it can also be a no start item.

as for other sensors, i would hold off until you get a CEL or you see a drop in gas mileage.

i can understand preventive maintenance, especially since i own an 89, but as long as you do routine maintenance on the wear items(plugs, filters, brakes,...) and fluids, it can get expensive swapping out good sensors and some aftermarket sensors arnt as good a oem sensors.

In my experience the o2 sensor will be bad way before any code shows up--change it based on "per miles" as recommended in the owners manual.

"Most" sensors will not leave you by the side of the road or trail, with the exception of the crankshaft position sensor.

Economics dictate that most people replace the sensors as needed/when symptomatic or when CEL alerts you to an out of spec condition.

Back