• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

th400 Swap Questions?

JT86XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I remeber reading some where that a Th400 out of a J-series will bolt up to a 4.0, but I've been searching and can't find anything. Now I know I would have to do something about the CPS, but I'm more interested in if the bellhousing will bolt up to the engine. Theres nothing wrong with the AW4 but im trying to do any with the electronics adn don't really need O/D as I have my '00 XJ as a daily driver, and I like the fact that I can get a manual valve body for it, to have a lil more control. My other question is will a Dana 300 out of a CJ bolt up to the Th400, I already have the 300 with a flip kit, so I'm hoping it will. TIA

Yes, it will bolt up. I can't answer to the flexplate spacing and all that, but the AMC 8 cylinders have the same bellhousing pattern as the AMC 6's.

Id stick with the AW4,the J-series TH400's are getting hard to find.

The easy route is the CPS relocation kit form Hesco IIRC. Puts the CPS on the harmonic ballancer.

I already found one, but with what I'm finding it would be around $500 for the adapters to mount it to the D300

Rear output shaft and tcase adapter from a Th400 backed by a NP208 is what you need. It may be harder to find but alot cheaper than $500. I want to say that the output is the 32 spline short shaft which is very easy to find as it was also used in 2wd trucks with a bolt on yoke as well. Keep your eye out on ebay. Also for what it's worth from someone who has a TH400 in their trail rig(J10) I don't think it's worth it for you.

Back