• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water in Oil Pan?? Help

F1504x2

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 XJ with a 4.0 and 150k+ miles.

We have been getting external oil leaks arounf the head, valve cover, oil pan, etc. for the pase 2-3 months. We even have a little oil in the air cleaner but all breather lines are clear.

In the oil pan on the bottom of the dip stick (1/4" of so) we have a oil/water looking mixture and then the oil on the rest of the dip stick. If i had water leaking into the oil would all the oil on the dip stick be milky looking?

Thanks

The oil should eventually float to the top. causing what you see on your dipstick. Eventually the oil could become emulsified and all end up looking like what is in the base of your oil pan. It sounds like you have a leaky head gasket.

How has the humidity been?

CCV system clear and functioning correctly?

How often do you change your oil? Miles or time?

Is your thermostat 195 degrees? Long or short trips?

X2 for "Joe". I had an 88 that I swore the head gasket was leaking. went through 2 oil changes and never saw a drop of water in the oil again.
I have also had a '91 that I did a head gasket job on, it never overheated and had water in oil as you described. Was an easy job.

...a 180 t-stat will open too soon and you will not get to operating temp and as soon. You'll run in warm up mode (richer mixture, worse MPG) longer.

...a 180 t-stat will NOT control maximum temp, so if you want to run a 180 to keep the engine cooler, it won't work.

Stick with the 195. If you have overheating or running hot problems look for other issues.

The factory sets the thermostat at 195 as that is the minimum optimal running temp for the fuel injection/emissions. Your XJ usually run's at 210. Also, a thermostat gives time for the water in the radiator to cool down and time for the water in the block to cool the block down. I don't believe there is an upside to a "cooler" thermostat.

What are the cons of running a 180 degree thermostat?

Maybe none. Look, it will just take longer for the engine to reach "normal" operating temperature.

This extended warm-up time will leave the engine in open loop longer and that means a richer mixture for a longer period of time.

Depending on the cooling system of the vehicle, it will eventually reach "normal" temperatur--stock XJ that would be about 200/210 degrees.

With an upgraded radiator, higher pressure cap, exotic additives, etc. the engine may never reach 200/210 degrees, depending on weather and use.

Ok, so i have no problem pulling the head and replacing the head gasket. I just always have problems with adjusting the valve, whats involved with adjusting the 4.0 valve?

Thanks

Back