• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"pop" in steering??

94HOCHEROKEE

NAXJA Forum User
I've noticed that I get a poping sound the first time I turn the wheel to the right just first starting to move the vehicle, Only when The day before I was driving through rain and snow. I went down to check the steering pump bolts and they looked fine, and gave everything a hard shake and nothing stood out.....:confused1 Any input is appreciated

Might be the steering stabilizer, mine is starting to go out and when I turn slightly to the right at low speeds it kinda makes a popping noise. Also actually check that everything is tight. The hand check is ok to start with but many components can be loose and you still wont be able to move them with your hand.

I've noticed that I get a poping sound the first time I turn the wheel to the right just first starting to move the vehicle, Only when The day before I was driving through rain and snow. I went down to check the steering pump bolts and they looked fine, and gave everything a hard shake and nothing stood out.....:confused1 Any input is appreciated

Hallo. My steering box is popping. The pitman axle is doing that.
Maybe an internal bearing.

'92XJwim "31BFGmuds 3"lift

The last few times I had a popping noise, it ended up being the track bar brace moving when I turned the wheel. Mine is now welded to the frame.

Stock or lifted?

My track bar relocation bracket made a popping sound for a while until I cranked it on real good and tight. Sound was more like a clunk than a pop, but it could be different for different people. Have someone turn it back and forth while you watch up front (unless you have to be moving to get the sound). See if you can find anything moving that shouldn't be

I had this issue twice. once it was my adjustable trac bar and the second it was my tie rod ends. I would suggest checking those.

There are two sets of possible problems here and you need to narrow it down to which one. One possibility is something in the track bar, steering, etc that makes a noise when you turn the wheel. This can be easily found by looking underneath while someone rocks the steering wheel back and forth.

The other set of possibilities involve loose u-joints, wheel bearings and so on. With this, in a steady state turn the steering wheel will oscillate back and forth as the bad u-joints rotate or a loose wheel bearing does its thing.

So, which is it?

I have to wait till I go to my dads because my tools are limited at my house.

I did go down and check some things out 2day I was able to tighten my track bar relocation bracket bolt down some more so that probly isn't good.....

I will be going asap so I will surely check bar and let you know if I find any loose bolts, like when I checked my engine mount to block bolts(2 had already sheered).
Thanks for the input,
Jason

Finally was able to get under and check some stuff out, and found that my track bar bolt(axle side) was way loose and was letting my relocation bracket move around in the hole.....
I noticed that my jeep tracks alot better now.(Go Figure);)

Back