• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender trimming

2ndtry

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj 6.5 rough country, 33 10.50 bfg muds. I guess my cheapo lift has settled and now I have fender rubbing problems. This has been an off road only jeep for 2 years but I could still put it back on the road some day. Does anyone have a pattern or an idea for cutting my wheel openings that I could possibly put flares back on if I had to. I like the stock look that I have now but something has got to go. I have trimmed some off the front, kinda below the marker light, but my problem seems to be in the back of the front wheel. I just don't want to go hacking too much metal off that I open a seem or could never cover it back up again. Thanks in advance!

89 xj 6.5 rough country, 33 10.50 bfg muds. I guess my cheapo lift has settled and now I have fender rubbing problems. This has been an off road only jeep for 2 years but I could still put it back on the road some day. Does anyone have a pattern or an idea for cutting my wheel openings that I could possibly put flares back on if I had to. I like the stock look that I have now but something has got to go. I have trimmed some off the front, kinda below the marker light, but my problem seems to be in the back of the front wheel. I just don't want to go hacking too much metal off that I open a seem or could never cover it back up again. Thanks in advance!

What is the backspacing on your wheels. You should have plenty of room for 33's

This might be a bit of work but with either the long arm or Xflex systems you are fully adjustable on arm length. Push the axle forward an inch or two with in reason. You can measure your wheelbase and compare it to stock. I have pushed my one inch past the stock length with no problems. I'm not everyone but its worth looking into.

You did say cheapo lift so if on the off chance that you are talking stock arms or non adjustable arms then that is your problem. you are at such and angle that it is sucking the tire backward.

I forget if wheels are 4.25 or 4.5 backspacing I think 4.5 black steelies. My control arms are adjustable. I really think that with the winch and a few years on it that the springs have just settled. thought about adding a spacer lift but if i don't have to i'de rather not go higher. Then again if i'm only going back up to where I should be I guess it's not a big deal. Thanks guys.

Go to a junkyard and pick up some pristine quarter panels from the same year/color XJ as yours, the yards are loaded with C4C vehicles right now... it'll cost you like 50 bucks for both.

Then chop up yours however you want and don't worry about what happens to them!

Back