• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adj control arms or drop bracket?

michael_jnel

NAXJA Forum User
I am researching what I will need for my lift. I am going with a 4.5" Rough Country and was not sure which I will need, the adj. control arms or the drop bracket. I know that the kit comes with new arms and they recommend the drop brackets, but will the adj arms cancel the others out? I only want to do this one time and do it right. Thanks for the help and any other info I may need.

Have you talked to RC and asked them what works with their lift? You can't go wrong with getting both adjustable CAs and the drop brackets but only the drop brackets may be needed.

The drop brackets will realign and get your geometry where you want it - the adjustables will get the axle where you need it however if their non-adjustable control arms work without drop brackets, but work better with drop brackets you may not need adjustables.

Have you talked to RC and asked them what works with their lift? You can't go wrong with getting both adjustable CAs and the drop brackets but only the drop brackets may be needed.

The drop brackets will realign and get your geometry where you want it - the adjustables will get the axle where you need it however if their non-adjustable control arms work without drop brackets, but work better with drop brackets you may not need adjustables.
That was fast!!! That's what I thought. I haven't called them yet, I promised the wife that I would get my bike paid off before any major modding. I just can't help looking at every thing I want to get it all lined up. I was not sure if the adjustable would adjust enough to get the camber dead on or not, and I don't see much need for both. I could be wrong, it has happened before.

Camber isn’t adjustable

I have a 3inch lift and am getting ready to install coil spring spacers and now im in the same predicament as you OP...i just dont see what the point is in running drop brackets with adj control arms, reason being is because i was under the assumption that if your lift is 4.5 inches or lower, the drop brackets will bring the control arms down to a stock like angle...so whats the point in running them??

Do both!

Every Jeep is different and you aren't guarnteed that you will get exactly 4.5" ..... you will want the flexibility to do slight adjustments to caster/pinion angle no matter what route you go.

Keeping stock arms is not recommended if you wheel .... they will bend easily.

And at 4.5" of lift, even with adjustable arms, your ride will be harsh and it will be tough to find a good balance between pinion angle and caster.

I have 5" of lift with DBs and adjustable uppers and lowers .... I was able to dial everything in quite nicely. I'm very happy.

Both. Drop brackets will flatten out the angles to a more stock like level. Adj arms and no DBs will not do anything for your angles. You will be able to set pinion angle/caster with adj arms. So, do both. Fix the control arm angles with the DBs and the caster with the adj arms.

I think the only downfall w/ the DB's are the stock height of the frame mounting point of the LCA........ Well not stock height but just the height diff. of the stock tire to what you are running at the time.... It drops like 4".... Just my 2 cents

Which in turn makes for a better ride and proper geometry. drop brackets are made beefy and can withstand abuse, doubtful that they will be ripped off or destroyed. Another vote for drop brackets and adjustables

Back