• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I Identify Gearing whitout an ID Tag - Searched

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
I read a post about it a year or two ago but i can't seem to find it now.

I have a pulled D44 rearend with an arb locker in it, there is no id tag on the housing but i need to know the gearing before i swap it in, is there anyway to tell the gearing without taking the diff appart and counting the teeth and dividing?

i was hoping it was just stamped somewhere...

I'd count the teeth and divide - if you're swapping it in you probably should pull the cover and make sure it's in OK shape, change the fluid etc anyways. You can hold one axleshaft still and count turns on the pinion vs the other axleshaft though.

Either what kastein mentioned or jack up the axle and spin the driveshaft. count how many rotations of the driveshaft to one rotation of the tire. That should give you a rough estimate on what is in there. (i.e. approx 3.5 rotations of the driveshaft to one rotation of the tire would mean you probably have 3.55s if it is a Jeep).

Alot of aftermarket gear manufacturers stamp the info into the side of their ring gears. you can pull the cover and spin it around to see if it's on there.

Back