• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which H4 bulbs?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, I have the H4 autopal conversion, have had it for a few years now. I have been buying the cheapest bulbs I can find, but I am tired of replacing every few months. I upgraded the harness with relay and all. I have been running hotter bulbs.... I think I currently have 80/100. I wish I could find a lower low beam (55 or so) and a 100 high beam. Don't want to go over 100.

I DON'T want ricer blue or any other color.

WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it a lot!
Jason

I was in the same situation as you are now. I wanted a "whiter" "brigher" light output for my XJ. I did the Autopal headlamp assembly switch with the H4 bulbs and just that amazed me! Then I upgraded the wiring following some threads I found on NAXJA and that surprised me more! But when i changed my bulbs from the cheap crap that came with the Autopal housings is when i was really shocked. I got a set of PIAA Intense White H4 60w/55w bulbs. WOW! They have that slight blue tint on the bulb but NOT when they're on! They are WHITE! I pull up next to a beammer or cedez and my lights are the exact same color as theirs. If you dont want that "ricer" blue look but dont want that "yellow" look anymore. The PIAA's are the way to go. I got mine from 4wd hardware.
MY $0.02
good luck with your decision.

IPF Fatboys

I second the PIAA bulbs. They are one of the highest quality bulbs out there, they may cost a little more, but why not do it right the first time. Just as philagony94xj said, they are white with a slight shade of blue, but not as bad as the ricers you see driving around. Also, it's nice because they use less draw but put out a higher wattage.

Fatboys are nice but spendy, and not necessarily worth the extra money VS lower priced bulbs. Pretty much an super white should do you just fine.

Motorcycle lamps are also (generally) designed to withstand vibration better.

I get my special lighting from Susquehanna Motorsports (www.rallylights.com) - he's a full-line Hella dealer, and I find the Hella Super Whites to be excellent bulbs (and really complement both the Hella Vision Plus and Hella E-Code housings.)

Why do you guys use blue bulbs? Aren't the brighter clear ones white enough? Even the cheap Autopal 55W bulbs I have now are almost as white as some HIDs since I upgraded my harness.

Why do you guys use blue bulbs? Aren't the brighter clear ones white enough? Even the cheap Autopal 55W bulbs I have now are almost as white as some HIDs since I upgraded my harness.

Are you sure you comparing to "real " HID's. Because when i had the upgraded harness with the Autopal housings and the cheap 55w bulbs, they didnt even come close to the "white, clear" of the HID's.

Now when i put in the PIAA super whites, YES they are definetly close to the look of the HID's.

My friend did the Autopal upgrade and we compared headlight brightness, mine were SOOOOOOOOO much whiter and brighter.

Are you sure you comparing to "real " HID's. Because when i had the upgraded harness with the Autopal housings and the cheap 55w bulbs, they didnt even come close to the "white, clear" of the HID's.

Now when i put in the PIAA super whites, YES they are definetly close to the look of the HID's.

My friend did the Autopal upgrade and we compared headlight brightness, mine were SOOOOOOOOO much whiter and brighter.

Yeah, I was comparing to the light pattern of cars with brighter headlights with a sharp cutoff, which I think had to be HIDs.

I did ground my left lamp straight to the battery, so maybe it gets a little more power

Back