• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Something Robbing my Power Steering

ChristmasXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Really.

so basically sometimes ill have good steering somes I wont.

Ill turn a corner and have no power steering and almost hit the car in the opposite lane.

Sometimes itll be really hard to turn thenll it just like snap into power steering.

So im wondering whats the problem? need steering box? New cylinder? New pump?

Maybe my belt is slipping on the power steering pulley? ive looked it at a couple times and cant get it to skip.

Also all the fluid is normal and clean

Probably--don't laugh--busted motor mount(s).

The manifolds are laying on the steering shaft.

Flush the fluid. I had a piece of grit in my fluid and it froze the steering, causing me to put my rig on its top. After we got it back over and hauled down the mountain, it was like a light switch, the steering came back.

I have a hydro steer setup I am putting on and I am putting a filter in the low pressure side just for this reason.

A flush seems like a good start. And double check the belt tension. While usually you'll get a squeal when the belt is not tight enough, it isn't always the case. My old 87 would give symptoms like yours when not tight enougn. Remember that XJ belts must be very snug. It's also possible that your pump is on the way out, but check everything else first.

I vote getting a new pump also. They aren't that difficult to replace...

The symptoms you describe are exactly like a reman pump I got from NAPA. It was a bitch to turn the wheel, even though it had been rebuilt. It just wasn't right. I took it back for another one, and it worked a lot better

Back