• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seeking advice on step bars

4Doors

NAXJA Forum User
My '92 is lifted 4.5" and rides on 31's, so my wife and small children have a hard time getting in and out. My XJ is only 2wd and my off roading consists of forest service roads, so rock sliders are definitely not needed. However last night I was looking around for step rails and found THESE for a little over $200 shipped, but then I found AJ's rocker guards for about $335 shipped, and THESE for $300 with free shipping. While I don't need that kind of protection, I do love the way they are built and how stable they will be in the long run vs the regular step rails.

My questions are, do the AJs stick out far enough to be used as a real step to get in and out? And with them being directly under the rocker, will they be too close to the door to really help when getting out? Thanks for your time!

I have AJs Superrails and they aren't meant to be used as step rails. They're mounted too close to the door opening.

They do provide excellent rocker protection though! :D

dont have an answer about how far aj's stick out, but if you call him or PM him and tell him your needs, you will modify his rails for your needs.

Is this your daily driver? I am in the middle of adding rails right now and I was suprised how much the extra weight affected performance. I am sure it's not helping mpg, either. No big deal for a trail rig but if your 2wd is not going to be wheeling, maybe just add some of those truck steps. Just a thought.

Back