• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 gauge cluster swap

alaska3452000@yaho

NAXJA Forum User
Well i have asked this question before and i cant find the thread for it but i need to ask it again. I have a 2000 Cherokee with the gauge cluster that has the idiot lights only (no tach either) My local junkyard has one but its out of a 1999. Will this gauge cluster work in my 2000. Does it matter that they switched to the distubutor-less coil in 2000.....ie will the tach work in mine. Any help would be appreciated. I just got the motor rebuilt and need to have gauges. thanks.

I recently did this swap and I took the extra time to find one from the same year. I've heard that if you use different years, the pin locations can be slightly different resulting in odd dash lights.....for example, I've heard the part time 4wd light might stay on or the low washer fluid light might stay on...things like that. That would drive me insane so I just went to ebay and found one for the exact year. Its been in my friends XJ for about 3 months now with zero hicups or problems of any kind. They are ALL over ebay so I would be patient and remove any chance of an incompatibility.....its your time and money though, just my $.02

It'd be nearly trivial to solve the gauge light issues - trace the wiring on the PCB for the lamps that are swapped or wrong, pull any bulbs that are just plain not supposed to turn on, and swap the wires at the connector for any lamps that are switched. Should take about 15 minutes, a few inches of solder, and an inch or two of heatshrink tubing if you like solving mazes and can solder pretty well - or use butt splice crimps.

EDIT: brainfart, this goes for pre-97 stuff, I don't recall if 2000/2001 still had individual wires for those indicator lamps or if that data was moved onto the CCD bus. I believe it's still individual wires though.

Why make extra work for yourself when there are dozens on ebay at any given time that are guaranteed to work....Yes, you can always make something work but it seems like the simplest solution would be to take 1 minute and find one online.

Soldering and shrink wrapping and tracing wires on an OBD-II system is not trivial for 99% of people on the planet.

Why make extra work for yourself when there are dozens on ebay at any given time that are guaranteed to work....Yes, you can always make something work but it seems like the simplest solution would be to take 1 minute and find one online.

Soldering and shrink wrapping and tracing wires on an OBD-II system is not trivial for 99% of people on the planet.

I agree, and with C4C you should be able to find one.

Well i had heard the same thing about finding a cluster out of the same year you are putting it in. But today i was desperate and my local junkyard only had one for a 1999 cherokee. And they wanted freaking $75 for it! But i was desperate so i bought it. Took me 15 minutes to install it, and all of the lights/gauges work perfect! None of the lights stay on, and all the gauges work great. Thanks for everyones help!

Back