• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 debris shelds on axleshafts

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
In an effort to replace the u-joints, I managed to melt the black plastic 'disc' on one of my front axleshafts ... is there a place to get replacements, is it a basically ineffective part I'll be just as fine without, or am I SOL? Hmmm....
-Matt

My drivers side one is gone too. The stock ones are not really much of a seal (a shield, like you say) I was considering the aftermarket axle seals but I'm such a cheap bastard.

So far not a problem but if you do alot of mud, water, sand. I do more rock, gravel, snow and very little of the above. 3 years running without it I have not had an issue.

Plumas.jpg

Wow, I just noticed that this pic is like 5 yrs. old. The old gal looks alot different now. No more amber lights (KC's now) about 2 more inches of lift, and bigger fatter tires. The guy standing there still looks the same, hasn't aged a bit.

Last edited:
I have been running a long time without the debris shields without any problems.

If anything, they trap debris from getting out of the tubes that have gotten in the tubes!

No shields seems to be better, or if you want to upgrade, Alloy USA used to make some greasable axle tube seals. I believe other companies make the same thing too.

If anything, they trap debris from getting out of the tubes that have gotten in the tubes!

No shields seems to be better, or if you want to upgrade, Alloy USA used to make some greasable axle tube seals. I believe other companies make the same thing too.

Agree, but I don't think they will work in the D30 disconnect axles. I don't know what the OP has.

Right, the passenger side axle shafts on the D30 disconnect are thicker than the non-disconnect one piece axle shaft.

Although I dont see why it wouldn't work. The rubber seal is flexible and the shafts are not all that much thicker, I am thinking you could squeeze it through the seal and eventually over time it would take the new larger diameter just fine.

Make sure your inner axle seals are good, otherwise you will be doing alot of diff drains and refills.
Get the Alloy USA axle tube seals. They are a good product.

Back