• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fox 2.0 valving

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I just got some new-to-me Fox 2.0's... they are the remote reservoir adjustables for TJ's w/4-6" lift. I'll be throwing them under my XJ shortly but I was just wondering what you guys are running for valving (just a ballpark idea).

These shocks came valved at 20/90 from the factory and I think the previous owner may have played with them a bit so I really don't know what they're at right now. I have rebuild kits and shims and new oil and nitrogen, I just need some numbers to start from.

For some background on my Jeep, it's a 98 running 4.5" lift. RE coils up front. In the back I have a 8.8 from an 05 Explorer that I put a 0.5" UBE kit on. I have some 1.25" shackles, shackle relocation brackets and a bastard pack lift made from 2 full XJ packs with full length teflon liners. The rear sits dead on at 4.5" and it flexes like a mofo, but it feels a tad soft for my liking right now so I may switch the leaf pack up a bit until I find something I like better.

I made a shock hoop for the rear that keeps the shocks under the Jeep. (can't really have holes in the floor up here in Canada... makes it pretty cold and sucky in the winter). It leans the top mounting points in about an inch from stock and lowers it about an inch from stock.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Mark

mine came 40/60 im running them on the front. No complains yet, but ive never experienced any other valving options so there could be better options.

it all depends on where you spend the most of your time. i would say go with the stiffest compression valving you can stand on the street, once you start going fast the stiffer compression will help keep you ontop of the rollers.

Up front I like a medium rebound rate to keep the shock's rebound from bucking you up in the air every time it re-extends after taking a hard hit.

out back i like the rebound a little higher to help keep the wheels planted on the ground.

just my 2c

Are you sure it's 20/90? That's a pretty weird valving combination. Do you have 2 shocks or 4? Front or back?

I'm running Fox 2.0 Pros for a TJ on my 98 XJ. I'm running them right out of the box and they seem to do pretty well. They are a little stiff around town but they feel great in the dirt. From what I understand the TJ valving is stiffer since they weigh more than a Cherokee.

They are 20/90 because they are the adjustable compresion shocks (first sentence in his post). I have these also. The dial on top of the res. is for compresion adjusting only. Not sure if you can have the rebound re valved.

Last edited:
I have all 4 shocks. I want to run the rears a bit stiffer on both compression and rebound then the fronts because of the angle I have them at with my crossmember in the rear.
Link: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244434366&postcount=22

Yeah I am sure they are 20/90... Fox engraves the shock with the valving that it left the factory with.

I am a little curious what the 20/90 means... that would mean 20 (compression) at the softest setting and 90 (rebound) right? Then what is the compression valving on the highest setting?

I have the same shocks. It was explained to me that the 20/90 is the range of adjustment for the compresion adjuster. 1 being 20 and 90 being 8. I was also told that these shocks are not re valvable. I am calling Fox today to find out the real deal.

Let me know what you find out... they have to be revalvable if they are rebuildable. the 20/90 (if it is the range of adjustment) is only the compression valving... there must be a way to change rebound dampening still.

if im not mistaken it is 20 compression 90 rebound in your instance. Mine is 40 compression 60 rebound. But I do know that many shock brands do valving different ways like i know Bilstien have a different set of numbers for theirs.

Let me know what you find out... they have to be revalvable if they are rebuildable. the 20/90 (if it is the range of adjustment) is only the compression valving... there must be a way to change rebound dampening still.

Ok according to Fox they are re valvable but on the compression side the more you re valve the less adjustment you will have in the knob. The 20 marking is the least amount of compression the dial will give you (setting 1). The 90 is supposedly the rebound setting but I find that very hard to believe since I have had Fox shocks with 45 rebound and they where stiffer than these adjustables.

It would be interesting to see if someone else calls them what the answere will be.

I'm at 4.5". The fronts I have are for 6" lift TJ's and the rears are listed as 4-6" lifted TJ's. I have yet to install them but I have no doubts the fronts will work fine. The rears mounts may need a little fine tuning but that's probably just due to the weird setup I have back there.

I am running 6" of lift.

I have 11" on the rear with about 7" lift. I had JKS weld on lower with JKS bar pins.
I had to fab new lower mounts so they would not bottom out, the lower is now an inch higher than stock

I called Fox today and talked to a tech... apparently 20 is the compression on it's lowest setting and 90 is the rebound. The compression is 20 on it's lowest and he just said "it's really really stiff" on it's highest which means nothing really.

He wasn't a big help there, but he did say that if you rebuild these shocks that it's best to stick with the factory shim stack for the compression. The valving of the shock on the stiffest compression setting will not change even if you use a different shim stack. It's only the valving on the lowest setting that changes. So if you rebuild and use a thicker shim pack, then the range of adjustment just dimishes... it doesn't actually make the shock have stiffer compression.

Oh and he said to always fill to 200psi. I had read that you can adjust either direction +/- 50psi but he recommended against it.

Back