• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar disconnects

rookies

NAXJA Forum User
I built my own sway bar disonnects but haven't found a good way to tie up the bars after disconnecting any suggestions?

Put in a bracket with a rod or a bolt sticking out that you could slide the end onto after you disconnect it, so it would be like the ones that come with boughten disconnects.

Duct tape. The bungee cord is probably the easiest solution mentioned so far, but copying a setup similar to what's currently available commercially would be the most sound.

I used an eye bolt through the air box and a small bungee cord to hold it up. I could NEVER get zip ties to hold the sway bar up, the heat would just cause the zip ties to fail.

~Scott

Thanks, I have tried to find pictures of commercial brands but haven't found any yet. I had one setup all figured out but I did it on my shop floor didn't work so well laying in the gravel I need to make it easier.

Why reconnect it?

Sway bars :sure:

Thats crazy talk. Right up there with Rod.. and his no sway bar rig. I like my sway bars connected and secured when on the highway.

I have not run one in the last 2.5 years. I also don't go over 60mph but thats just the way i drive.

Thanks for the ideas. Antirocks are nice but I have a total of two dollers in to my disconnect everything else was parts that where laying around the shop. I used a eye bolt under the air box and a eye bolt under the battery box shorten a couple bungee cords and they work great. My XJ is not a daily driver but along with playing in the mud and snow out where I live I also pull a drift boat over to the coast. Front sway bar makes a big difference driving down the twisty roads with a boat behind you. Thanks

Can't claim this as my own, but thought I'd share with you. Don't remember where I got the pics from but anyway...
quickdisstow3.jpg

quickdisstow2.jpg

quickdisstow.jpg

How did you build them and for how much lift? I have also seen the zip ties being used. How about trying double sided velcro? I know it will get dirty but hey that what Jeeps do!

Last edited:
Back