• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch looses pressure

alex22

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 5speed is no longer holding pressure in the clutch, I checked the fluid height and it hasn't lost a drop. Is there any way to test which part, master or slave has the bad seal or do I have to guess or replace both at once?

~Alex

My 96 5speed is no longer holding pressure in the clutch, I checked the fluid height and it hasn't lost a drop. Is there any way to test which part, master or slave has the bad seal or do I have to guess or replace both at once?

~Alex

Sounds like the MC is bypassing the piston seal, I would start there. However, in my experience, I would replace both the MC and slave.

I would replace them as a pair, no sense in really doing one then wating for a little and having the same prob.

I replaced a master, ended up not being all of my my problem. So I have a used master kicking around that *should* still be a bit good. They aren't that expensive, but if you want to run a used one shoot me a PM, could probably ship it down to you. I just KNOW that as soon as I send that to someone on here and don't have a spare my current MC will go bad. :laugh2:

Edit: The more I think about it, It would probably be better to get a new one since my used one is probably quite old and may not work all that long itself... Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if its the stock '93 MC. I just keep it in a toolbox incase I happen to break something on a trail... I wll have a spare to limp me home.

Thanks for the input, I'll replace both of them soon.

My son had problems on his 96 with the clutch lever bending. The part that engages the rod of the master cylinder is not very well welded together, and it bent. The result was premature MC wear, and eventually intermittent jamming. If you're losing your MC, you might want to check that just in case it's contributing.

Back