• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanna do some mods, got a few questions.

AtomicPunk

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everybody, new to the forums. Alright, I just got my 1998 Jeep Cherokee classic and I would like to do some mods so I had some questions for you guys. It already has a 5.5 inch rubicon express lift, slip yoke eliminator, and quick disconnect sway bars.

1. Dana 44 front and rear axles. I planned on getting the axles out of an 86 or newer Grand Wagoneer, rebuilding them, and putting a truss on them. Has anybody done this before? Can I reuse the old brackets or do I have to buy a new set? Where should I put the truss on the axles (I'm guessing not the bottom for ground clearance issues)?

2. Cold air intake. I also planning on doing a larger throttle body, I've heard 62mm or 64mm. I've talked to the guy down here in Arizona at all AMC 4x4, Nacho, he owns an MJ and says he put a K&N cold air intake and had clearance issues so he couldn't put a throttle body spacer, so I planned on going for an AirRaid cold air. Am I going to have clearance issues with their brand do you think? Also, can i put a throttle body spacer and a larger throttle body on it, or do I even need to? Do these upgrades really improve horsepower and mileage?

3. Front and rear bumpers. I saw a company that posted on here their winch bumpers, with the stinger bar and prerunner bar, i think 3/16 inch steel, for I think a little under $500, does anybody know which company I'm talking about?

Those are pretty much the things I was wondering about, If you could help me that would be great, thank you.

Before doing any mods to the engine, snag a copy of JP Magazine's November 2009 issue.

The article on 4.0 myth busting is quite good and will probably save you some money, in particular on the spacer and throttle body.

Back