• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty's lift questions

anotherxj

NAXJA Forum User
well i bought an xj that has a rusty's lift on it.not sure of which one,the previous owner had no idea.im thinking its 6.5" coils and the control arms and trac bar stuff from a 4.5" lift.the lower arms are almost contacting the mounts just sitting.i maybe have 2" of down travel before it binds up.im thinking of building a set of lower arm drop brackets to get the uppers and lowers paralell and that will also give me a bit more travel.everything else looks like it will work fine if i drop the lowers a couple inches.the lowers are the 2" dom ones with a bend in them,uppers are tubular also so they arent stock.

toys029.jpg

toys028.jpg

toys031.jpg

im debating whether to build long arms or drop brackets..i have the knowledge and tools to do it,im just lazy.id like to keep it simple so i may just build a set of drop brackets this weekend.that way if i dont like it i can transfer the arms and drop brackets to my wifes xj with a lil less lift,and build myself a long arm setup.

well tested the flex on it today..not quite what i wanted to find out.i think i should be getting a lot more than this!!! the lower arms are what binds first.
xjflex001.jpg

xjflex003.jpg

xjflex016.jpg

xjflex011.jpg

im deciding on what style long arms i want now,stuck between keeping it a 4 link setup,or doing the radius arm style.the radius arms would be easier,but im worried it wont keep my caster and pinion angle where it should be when i driving.

im talking about the change in caster while im driving going over bumps,cant be too fun.i think i'll try it out though,just gotta get some $$ for parts first.probably going to use rubber bushings at all the ends,cheap-easily replaced,and should be fine in this application.

My vote is for radius arms, I have been running a Clayton long arm for a year now no problems (DD). I love the ride on and off road, go long arm radius and you won't go back.

Back