• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just ordered some goodies:-)

BlackHawk68

NAXJA Forum User
Just getting into the XJ thing. Picked up a 1998 XJ Sport for 2000 and ordered the 6.5 Iron Rock Long arm kit, H&T w/Driveshaft, Bilstein 5125 shocks and got a great deal on some 33x13.5-15 Toyo M/T's. The problem is I want to run 8 inch rims, but I keep getting told thats too narrow for the 13.5 tire and if I run 10 inch wheels its alot of extra wear on everything. Im figuring a 15x10 inch wheel with a 4inch BS shouldn't be too bad. I read through as much as I could, but it doesn't seem like too many people run a 33x13.5. Mostly gonna be a daily driver/weekend warrior. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

no problem in the 8 inch wheel. i consider it a poor mans bead lock. i run 12.50s on an 8 inch wheel and mounted them by hand fairly easily. for offroad i prefer to run the narrowest wheel possible as it holds the bead on better

Rim Width in Inches Maximum Tire Width
6" 9.50" Max
7" 9.50"-10.50"
8" 10.50"-11.50"
8.5" 10.50"-12.50"
10" 12.50" and Up

Not absolute rules, but guidelines.

Friend of mine runs that exact same tire size. Its strictly a trail only rig and he has had NO problems keeping the bead on his 8" rim w/4" backspacing. Couldnt tell ya about the street portion of running that setup though. I would not hesitate to run that tire/rim combo.

I'm running 32x11.5s on 15x7 rims, no problems yet... the only issues I can really see are that running a tire on a rim narrower than suggested may wear the center of the tread more than the edges at a given pressure, and I believe the tires may roll/flex to the side a bit more while turning/cornering.

Back