• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axle Swap

DoubleDingo

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, Newbie here. New to the board, not new to mechanical knowledge.

I have done plenty of research on this board as well as other areas of the web. So don't bash me for asking this, because I have not found an answer anywhere. Here goes...

I have wanted to swap a D44 with the electric selectable locker from a Rubicon into my '91 xj. My xj doesn't have ABS. I have installed an Old Man Emu suspension kit and changed the gears so the highway rpm's match close to factory spec with the bigger tires. Other than the mild mod's I've mentioned, my rig is basically stock. I just want to be locked up in the rear for those situations that require extra traction. I don't plan on building a rock crawler. I have not heard of anybody doing this kind of swap. Is that because it's not doable? Or do you guys generally want to just go with the 8.8's, 8.25's, or other axles besides those from other jeeps? To me it made sense to do this type of swap because a jeep is a jeep. Let me know what knowledge you may have regarding this type of swap.

Thanks.

Ps. I have considered a lunch box locker for my existing D35, but would rather have a D44 back there with a locker.

honestly, its easier and cheaper just to swap a 8.25 back there. if u say ur not going to do any serious wheelin, why waste more time and money on a d44 when uc an just do an easy bolt on with a 8.25? and tehre also strong.

Thanks for the info. I knew there had to be something difficult about the swap I was thinking about. Is it the spring perches needing to be relocated etc? Do the 8.25's have the selectable lockers already installed? Or would that be an extra expense? And can the 3.73's I put in my D35 fit in the 8.25?

Last edited:
they do not have lockers in them. that will be alot of money for one.

putting the d44 wouldnt be that hard. is it out of a tj? i would put it in and then you will not have to worry about it.

you should just cut off the old brackets and weld in spring perches and shock mounts.

i say do it.

Thanks for the info. I knew there had to something difficult about the swap I was thinking about. Is it the spring perches needing to be relocated etc? Do the 8.25's have the selectable lockers already installed? Or would that be an extra expense? And can the 3.73's I put in my D35 fit in the 8.25?
8.25s do not have a locker already installed. It'll be an extra expense. And no, you cannot put gears for a d35 in an 8.25 - any more than you can put gears for a d35 in a d44.

Thanks all for your info. It appears that the '97 to '01 8.25 is the easiest way to go for swapping purposes, but more expensive to get the gearing and locker setup in it.

I suggest you find a 29 spline 8.25 for the rear and get a lunchbox locker for the front. You will get much better capability from just a front locker than just a rear locker.

Back