• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start sometimes.....grounds?

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
okay so I've been having a no start/perfect crank problem for a while, now it starts every time if being jumped..litterally the second you turn the key it fires right up. then maybe the next two or three times it works, then it just cranks and cranks and cranks until the battery dies, when it's working battery charges fine, bench test alt, batt and starter and all are good. is this just a ground issue? and could someone help me with a link to pictures of the grounds...preferably on a 96 sport :roll:. oh yeah and get blue spark andengine starts when pulling a boot to check. Fuel pressure is good also

TIA

Doug

Something, of course, is missing when it won't start.

Have you checked for spark when it won't start?

Have you tried shooting some ether into the intake when it won't start?

I don't know if the 96 still has the three grounds to the dipstick tube, they are critical on the Renix system.

See if you can determine what is absent in the no start condition.

had a fuel pressure gauge hooked up for a few months and it read fine the whole time when pulling the spark plug boot off to check for spark it was bright blue.... when I ground it on the AC compressor the engine would start right up. I have a ground from the batt to the fender, batt to the wheel well back of the block to the firewall and another from the batt to the alt, starter and all that

I don't know if this applies to your 96, but on the Renix the ICM, ECU, and o2 sensor all ground at the dipstick tube. Take a look at yours and see if there are wires attached, and if so, renew the connections.

Back