• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 axle noise

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so it's been almost a month now, that my friend has had my jeep setting up my gears. The 8.8 has a weird howl to it and it has been looked at by 5 or 6 different qualifyed people. Basic LS axle with 4.88 yukon gears and master install kits. Also replaced the wheel bearings and seals. Basically it is a whole new axle inside with the exeption of the carrier. Any clues to what could be making this noise? All the tollerances have been double and tripple checked and it is getting a good tooth pattern. Please help me I want my jeep back.

You said you have had them checked out more then a few times and they seem good. All that I am saying is I have seen quite a few gears sets howl with perfect patterns and they don't get hot. My old assistant Mgr gears howled, he had them checked by my shop and 3 other shops and they all said they where fine. He is still driving on them now and has been for 3 years.

I am not saying there is nothing wrong just saying that its kinda common and does happen.

Last edited:
OP should go and try some of the Ford forums for answers, maybe there is a known problem.

Okay thanks JRW I understand what you are saying. Maybe that's just the nature of those particular set of gears.

Mike, LS additive is added, gearset is Yukon 4.88's brand new.

I guess I could do some google searching just to be sure. The installer is going to call Yukon today and talk to them about the situation. He just thinks that there seems to be too much noise. I've only driven it once for about 3 miles other than that it is all on his speculation.

I've got Yukon 4.88's in my 8.8 and have not had any issues.

How about some pics of the pattern?

Back