• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ramifications with using axle yoke as jack point

xray1971

NAXJA Forum User
98XJ 4wd

What possible damage can be done with using the axle yoke as a jack point (besides the fact that one's gig can be severely harshed if the XJ were to slide off this incorrect jack point while underneath doing front end work)?
:skull2:

Premature hub bearing unit wear if the axle yoke gets bent a little?

horrible idea. horrible horrible horrible.

you could screw up your U-joints, damage the pinion seals or pinion bearings, screw up the transfer case or differential... If you want one jack point for the entire end of the vehicle, use the center of mass of that axle, i.e. the bottom of the pumpkin on the rear or somewhere in the middle on the front. Some differentials recommend not jacking by the pumpkin however, also it's likely that if you are doing anything serious, you are going to tip the jack over or tip the XJ off of it while hauling on a wrench. Use jackstands they are cheap.

horrible idea. horrible horrible horrible.

you could screw up your U-joints, damage the pinion seals or pinion bearings, screw up the transfer case or differential... If you want one jack point for the entire end of the vehicle, use the center of mass of that axle, i.e. the bottom of the pumpkin on the rear or somewhere in the middle on the front. Some differentials recommend not jacking by the pumpkin however, also it's likely that if you are doing anything serious, you are going to tip the jack over or tip the XJ off of it while hauling on a wrench. Use jackstands they are cheap.

A horrible idea indeed. I took my XJ to a local shop and dropped it off for some work as the new place I live at has a gravel driveway. When I came back to check on it the mechanic had it jacked up (in the parking lot) with a jack stand under the driver side axle yoke. I got very worried after I saw this.

Thank you kastein for your reply of possible problems this could cause!!

:scared::shocked: yeah, never bring it back there for sure... personally, I'd get a 4x8 sheet of 1" pressure treated plywood and split it into 8 2x2 squares for use under jackstands and such... you'll need to chock tires far more carefully of course, but at least it'll let you do work in your driveway.

Pinion bearing damage, pinion shaft bending (the D30/D35 pinions are relatively thin,) possible housing snout cracking, ... That's if you go up by the pinion yoke.

If you go up by the inner C on the front axles, you'll probably be fine - as long as you don't bear directly on the lower ball joint (have the bottom end of the ball joint housing in the cup on your floor jack.)

A horrible idea indeed. I took my XJ to a local shop and dropped it off for some work as the new place I live at has a gravel driveway. When I came back to check on it the mechanic had it jacked up (in the parking lot) with a jack stand under the driver side axle yoke.

For some reason I don't think he's talking about the pinion yoke, but is rather describing the front axle inner knuckles as yokes.

if you go inside the ball joints on the C shaped thing your all set, i put mine there all the time cuz its convenient and it fits nicley into my jackstands

but dont jack it up by the yoke that sticks out of the back of the diff

Back