• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some Smoke after Valve cover gasket replacement

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All!
1993 Sport, 4.0HO, 115K on the clock, AW4, stock everything.

Just changed out my valve cover gasket. when i pulled it, i found a good deal of carbonized looking oil deposits that crumbled off pretty easily. i carefully scrapped and then vacuumed out all that crap, put the cover back on and got it up to operating temp to test for leaks.

after not seeing any leaks, i went ahead and changed the oil (Valvoline high mileage 5W-30 and purolator pureone filter).

when i went to put in the fresh oil, a bit of smoke came out when i removed the cap to add the oil. Is this normal, and if not, what could be causing it?

Thanks for your time!

Hi All!
1993 Sport, 4.0HO, 115K on the clock, AW4, stock everything.

Just changed out my valve cover gasket. when i pulled it, i found a good deal of carbonized looking oil deposits that crumbled off pretty easily. i carefully scrapped and then vacuumed out all that crap, put the cover back on and got it up to operating temp to test for leaks.

after not seeing any leaks, i went ahead and changed the oil (Valvoline high mileage 5W-30 and purolator pureone filter).

when i went to put in the fresh oil, a bit of smoke came out when i removed the cap to add the oil. Is this normal, and if not, what could be causing it?

Thanks for your time!

I wouldn't be too worried, but be sure and check the CCV system--it could be plugged and the bad valve cover gasket was masking it.

Back