• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pros/cons of inverted 4 link front?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't researched too much into a 4 link front other than that a typical 4 link front won't work because I'd probably shove the UCAs into my oil pan every time I flex. But what about doing something like an inverted 4 link? Granted this is for a rear, but what about applying it to a front end?
P10100662.jpg

The uppers would mount to a cross member, probably modify my TNT belly pan for it. No panhard/track bar thats the whole reason for wanting to do a triangulated 4 link front. Also would more than likely run full hydro if I could eliminate a need for a panhard/track bar.

Some problems i see is mounting the uppers to the frame. If you mount it to a crossmember then the seperation at the frame will be low, almost might as well do a radius arm setup. I also dont see how you are going the get around the oil pan without having a ridiculous amount of lift.

Why hate on the panhard? It seems like any problem it's causing is going to be MUCH easier to solve than doing an inverted double triangulated four link. I mean jesus, man - just count the syllables in that! Twelve syllables there vs five for "four link with panhard". I think the choice is clear...

Why hate on the panhard? It seems like any problem it's causing is going to be MUCH easier to solve than doing an inverted double triangulated four link. I mean jesus, man - just count the syllables in that! Twelve syllables there vs five for "four link with panhard". I think the choice is clear...

haha agreed, we should always guage the difficulty of any and all mods by the number of syllables:yelclap:

for packaging reasons up front (unless your building a tube buggy or something) ive never really seen much of a point in building a double traingulated 4 link up front. inverted or not, it just seems far too hard to get all that clearing the oil pan and front DS.

run a track bar with triangulated uppers and call it good.

out back though....go crazy, and do all the triangulation you want

It can be done. I personally will be doing a parallel 4 link with panhard. There is no fundamental rule that says you have to have the uppers angled in to center. You can angle the lowers in to just under the transfercase while the uppers travel parallel to the frame like they would normally like in a 3 link/4 link with panhard.

Here is a standard 4 link
main.php

I know I've seen a pic of what I'm talking about but I can't seem to find it at the moment. The other problem You will run into is steering . I know with a double 4 triangulated you would have to go full hydro steering. You might encounter some bumper steer with a single triangulated link set up as well if you stuck with mechanical steering.

Last edited:
Back