• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Best" Muffler

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in need of a muffler/tailpipe, and have no knowledge whatsoever about the various brands available. So I'm hoping you wise and experienced folk can point me to something that meets my needs.

It has to:
Pass NJ inspection
Not be obnoxiously loud
Cheap :)

Cheapness is important, but if I can get some performance for close enough to stock price then I'd be willing. Thanks!

Get a dynomax kit, cheap (>$100) and they sound decent. My last ride had that, with the next rig I'll probably go Magnaflow though.

~Scott

i like the cherry bomb turbo muffler. it is quiet, but does have a little sound to it, it is usually less than $50, improves flow for mileage/power, and looks just like a stock
muffler, only a little smaller, so it will pass inspection with no questions.

Also if I go with an aftermarket muffler what do I do about the pipe? I don't have access to a bender or anything like that.

I bought the thrush glasspack cherry bomb...38 bucks and if you get the long one it has a nice deep rumble as opposed to the short one which hums more, but is less expensive

I went with rustys flowmaster 50/tailpipe setup. It was pretty cheap and the tail pipe is made really well. I cut off the old and clamped on the new in my garage, then had a local muffler shop weld it all up for me(cheap). It sounds good, not loud at all inside the jeep unless you really get on it.

I also didn't get this setup with the hopes of any performance gains in mind. Anything you gain/loose will be so minor it's nothing to consider. The set of the pants dyno will of course tell you that you picked up a few HP ha.

What year is your XJ?
Jegs.com is offering 50$ MIR on super turbo cat back system.
Otherwise I say a Dynomax ultraflo or a magnaflow/bullet performance muffler. On the more pricey side is the Aero Turbine. Probably the best money can buy.

Also what sizes should I be looking for? Am I looking for Center inlet and offset outlet?

Back