• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS Question

Hylander

NAXJA Forum User
My Rig is a 97.
This is the Continuity test chart for an 88
My Plug is shaped different so it won't be the same, but would they test the same ?
The chart here says in Drive there should be no continuity between any Terminals.
I do have continuity between 2 Terminals when in Drive
Does anyone have the Chart for a 97 ?

Park ........................................... "B" & "C"
Reverse ........................................ "A" & "E"
Neutral ........................................ "B" & "C"
Drive ................................................ (1)
3 .............................................. "A" & "G"
1-2 ............................................ "A" & "H"​
(1) -
No continuity should exist between any terminals.

My Rig is a 97.
This is the Continuity test chart for an 88
My Plug is shaped different so it won't be the same, but would they test the same ?
The chart here says in Drive there should be no continuity between any Terminals.
I do have continuity between 2 Terminals when in Drive
Does anyone have the Chart for a 97 ?

Park ........................................... "B" & "C"
Reverse ........................................ "A" & "E"
Neutral ........................................ "B" & "C"
Drive ................................................ (1)
3 .............................................. "A" & "G"
1-2 ............................................ "A" & "H"​
(1) -
No continuity should exist between any terminals.

Pull it off and clean/lubricate it. Do a Google search for "NSS naxja" and you will find a ton of threads on the NSS.

You've got it backwards with the clip on top looking at the pins from the disconnected side the pin layout is this

EFGH
DCBA

The test and continuity is the same as the 88 where as in drive you should not have continuity between any pins. Let us know which pins you have continuity on and we can help you.

nssnewqw7.jpg

There is a bolt that holds the NSS in place. Loosen the nut and rotate the NSS to re-align. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm. Easiest way I found was to put on parking brake, put tranny in reverse, then rotate the NSS back and forth while watching the reverse lights. Snug the bolt back down when the NSS is centered in the range that the reverse lights come on.

The link I gave, also has a writeup on removing and cleaning the NSS.

There is a bolt that holds the NSS in place. Loosen the nut and rotate the NSS to re-align. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm. Easiest way I found was to put on parking brake, put tranny in reverse, then rotate the NSS back and forth while watching the reverse lights. Snug the bolt back down when the NSS is centered in the range that the reverse lights come on.

The link I gave, also has a writeup on removing and cleaning the NSS.

Already did all that, still a no go and I still get Continuity between pins 3-4 when in Drive.
The NSS will not adjust to any postition where when in Drive, pins 3-4 have no Continuity.

Is there a way to adjust the Shift cable ?
It seems like it is goign to far, pushing the shift lever just a tad past the gear is is suppose to be in.

The shift cable has an adjuster up by the shifter. You have to pull the square trim piece from around the shifter to see where the cable attaches

When you say pins 3-4, what letters are those on the schematic above?

This might seem like a dumb question, but you do have the right connector? The other connector coming up from the tranny with the tranny sensors and solenoid wiring is pretty similar. I think it's black instead of grey, or vice-versa.

The shift cable has an adjuster up by the shifter. You have to pull the square trim piece from around the shifter to see where the cable attaches

When you say pins 3-4, what letters are those on the schematic above?

This might seem like a dumb question, but you do have the right connector? The other connector coming up from the tranny with the tranny sensors and solenoid wiring is pretty similar. I think it's black instead of grey, or vice-versa.

Yep, I got the right Plug.
That would be Pin "A" and "4"
There is no letter for pin 4, but there is a pin there.
Pin "4" goes to the Overdrive Sensor

So what exactly is the problem? What symptom are you having?

So what exactly is the problem? What symptom are you having?

Initial problem was:
After I warm it up, drive for about 20 minutes, the CEL comes on and
I would loose Overdrive and then a couple miles later it would start jerking in and out of 3rd to Overdrive.

Problem now:
After warming up, drive for about 20 miles, the CEL comes on and when I pull up to a stop it wants to stay in 1st until I let completly off the gas, then it shifts to 3rd and immediatly into Overdrive but does not lockup.

After I clear the codes it shifts great for a few miles and then it starts all over.
If I unhook the TCU, I can manually shift it just fine.

Yep, I got the right Plug.
That would be Pin "A" and "4"
There is no letter for pin 4, but there is a pin there.
Pin "4" goes to the Overdrive Sensor

I dug a little further in the 1997 FSM wiring schematics. The diagram on page 8W-31-3 clearly shows that pin 4 gets connected to pin 3 when the shifter is in D. So what you're seeing is normal. Not sure why it's not shown on the diagnostic chart.

The 2000 FSM also shows the same dianostic chart with D not connecting any pins, but the wiring schematic shows 3-> with the shifter in D.

Last edited:
What specific codes are you getting?

In the future, please include this kind of info in your initial post.

With my CEL on and the Trans acting up, I did this to try to aquire Codes.

"Insert the key but do not turn. Fully depress the trip reset button and hold down. Next turn the key to the on position three times and then leave in the on position. Release trip reset button and the gauges will flicker and the odometer will count down and then show the trouble codes"

It did the countdown but did not give me any Codes.
However it did Clear any Codes and the CEL is off and it is Shifting Great.
Only drove about 4 miles, but will go for a short drive alittle later to see when the CEL comes back on.

Back