• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No gauges after alternator swap

green95xj

NAXJA Forum User
My friend was helping me work on my jeep and his job was to replace the alternator. He forgot to disconnect the battery before he did it. He took off the positive and it grounded out. Now I have no gauges that work. With key on the oil presure needle moves very little and nothing else does anything. The odmeter still works as well. I have checked all the fuses in the vehicle. Anyone have any other ideas I would greatly apreciate it thanks.

Yes the battery is still charged and it still runs. The jeep is a 97 4.0 ax-15 231. I have checked the connections on the gauges and they are good. The background on this jeep is I swapped in the ax-15 and 231 from an aw4 242. I got a ecu from the junkyard out of a 97 4.0 ax-15 231. I don't know if a bad ecu could cause this or not. Thanks for all your help.

I would pull the instrument panel and then test the various wires to the senders, you can ground the oil/temp sensors quite readily and see if the ohm readings to the back of the IP are good.

Have you checked supply voltage from the fuse panel to the instrument panel?

Any idea where i can get the wireing schematics for the gauge cluster? i dont have one and the only thing they sell at my local auto zone is the chiltons manual, and it isnt to great. The warning lights and all that work as well as the odometer so doesnt that meen i have voltage to the cluster? Thanks for any and all help.

Any idea where i can get the wireing schematics for the gauge cluster? i dont have one and the only thing they sell at my local auto zone is the chiltons manual, and it isnt to great. The warning lights and all that work as well as the odometer so doesnt that meen i have voltage to the cluster? Thanks for any and all help.

I'm wondering if you are getting full 12v to the instrument panel?

The FSM has an extensive test section for the instrument panel. Unfortunately I only have the 90 FSM, and there have been changes along the way.

Hopefully someone with the 97 FSM will chime in.

Back