• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ Drivetrain question:

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so I know this is the XJ association, but a friend of mine has a 4cyl YJ, and he's looking to swap in a I6.
My question here, is will the whole drivetrain out of an XJ swap into the YJ?
Engine, trans, and T-case.
It seems to me like the bundle might be too long for it.

Has anyone done this? or heard of it being done? It's halfway impossible to find a used YJ 6cyl drivetrain online... so we were thinking that maybe a thrashed XJ could be a good doner?

Isn't the engine in a 6cyl YJ the same engine as in an XJ? My only worry would be the tranny and TC, and I'm pretty sure the TC is also the same aside from clocking issues.

IIRC, the tailshaft housing on the transmission clocks the transfer case lower on an XJ than it does on a YJ. Your buddy could swap it in, but I'd expect the transfer case to hang lower afterwards.

In addition, the AW-4 was never used in the YJ. I think it's longer the the auto they used in the YJ, and may require a very short rear drive shaft. Almost definitely going to need a slip-yoke eliminator.

If he uses an XJ transmission, he can re-drill the bolt pattern on the trans. tail shaft housing to re-clock the transfer case up to the YJ position.

That reminds me, is the YJ passenger drop or driver drop? The transfer case may be facing the wrong direction, I forget if YJs/TJs were opposite from XJs or not.

That reminds me, is the YJ passenger drop or driver drop? The transfer case may be facing the wrong direction, I forget if YJs/TJs were opposite from XJs or not.
They switched when they went from the CJ to the YJ. The YJ, TJ, and XJ are all the same

In addition, the AW-4 was never used in the YJ. I think it's longer the the auto they used in the YJ, and may require a very short rear drive shaft. Almost definitely going to need a slip-yoke eliminator.

If he uses an XJ transmission, he can re-drill the bolt pattern on the trans. tail shaft housing to re-clock the transfer case up to the YJ position.

But an AX-15 wouldnt be a problem correct? (other than re-drilling to clock the case)

Heck for what people want for wrangler parts, but a wrecked Xj, swap Engine harness and trans, and buy a Custom Xfer case that you can clock however you need to. Part out the Donor, and you might be ahead!

Another issue: I seem to recall reading somewhere that the engine mounts on a YJ are welded onto the frame, and the 4cy and 6cy mounts are in different locations. Can anybody confirm this? I can't remember where I read it.

http://4wheeldrivesportutility.auto...-1987-jeep-wrangler-yj-engine-swap/index.html

Given the ready availability of recycled '91-up 4.0L MPI six-cylinder Wrangler and XJ Cherokee engines, converting a YJ or TJ to a six might sound practical. However, such a swap presents a major challenge: the frames are different between four- and six-cylinder models!
The Wrangler departed from the earlier CJ frame design. For the AMC-era CJ four-, six- and eight-cylinder applications, each year and model uses the same frame. The CJs use bolt-on frame brackets attached at different sets of frame holes. This allows engine interchangeability--unlike the YJ or TJ Wranglers. YJ and TJ frames have the engine mounts factory-welded in position for either a four- or six-cylinder model.
Once the engine mounts have been corrected, the four to six swap will also require new fuel lines, the correct MPI fuel pump, a six-cylinder MPI wiring harness, and a 4.0L engine computer. One approach is Mopar's EFI Conversion Kit for `81-'90 4.2L sixes. This kit uses original equipment 4.0L MPI components and provides a new, easy to attach engine wiring harness, a coil, the computer, a fuel pressure regulator, all new sensors, injectors and fuel rail, a throttle body, an air cleaner, and an intake manifold. The Mopar package offers a user-friendly option to the recycled 4.0L Wrangler or XJ engine's used computer and wiring harness, which requires diagrams and splicing into existing chassis harnesses.
These swaps require 4.0L six-cylinder exhaust components, transmission mount and plate changes, and possibly some driveline changes or floor pan modifications. The radiator, engine fan and fan shroud must be changed to six-cylinder types, and an air-conditioning type radiator is always advisable. Before undertaking this swap, consider the costs, labor, and needed skills. Selling your four-cylinder YJ or TJ and purchasing a clean 4.0L Wrangler may be a reasonable alternative. Do your homework. Before plunging, check out the steps involved!

Seems you heard correctly! I guess the frame is the same but the mounts are different, and welded on in different places.

Call Advance Adapters or Novak--if it has been done they will know about it.

yeah, he currently has a 4cyl with the ax-5 trans. so it's not an auto.
I wonder how much longer the ax-15 is? I suppose we could measure, I have one.

the clocking issue, I'm sure, could be taken care of with a clocking ring, as opposed to re-drilling the tail housing. That sounds like a lot of potential weakening... The motor mounts aren't a huge deal, I'm a decent fabricator, that's not too hard.
I guess we could find an XJ with an ax-15 and get a Dana-300 case and clocking ring, and probably be good to go? I know the D300 bolts right up with a clocking ring.

You might check with AA, and see if the make universal engine mounts for the 4.0. 'Might save you some fab work.

The Jeep D-300 drops on the passenger side, the YJ/TJ NP-231 drops on the driver's side. There was a -300 made with a driver side drop, but I don't know the application.

Re-drilling the bolt pattern on the tail shaft adapter isn't that big a deal, or you could source a YJ/TJ transmission. The clock ring is a viable alternative, but adds about an inch to the length of the transmission(sounds kooky to worry about an inch, but when you have a 13" rear drive shaft, 12 looks a lot worse.

haha true man. I know that one of the ideas behind the clocking ring is to be able to flip the Dana 300...

We'll definitely take a look at what adapters are available... that could be nice.

Back