• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KM 2's for speed?

xcm

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have opinions for tires on a dd'd prerunner? being a bfg fanboy, im looking at the km2's in 33x12.5

they will never see 4wd rock crawling... but i do tend to hit shrubbery a lot, durability is important... but is rock crawling durability the same kind of durability i need?

ive also considered moving up to 17's as im gonna buy new wheels as well. the only concern being spares (i'd be the only one in my circle w/ 17's)

obviously, the baja's are out of the question. it does see DD time, and theyre twice the price. polishing is fine, but its no race vehicle.

please share your thoughts!

anyone have opinions for tires on a dd'd prerunner? being a bfg fanboy, im looking at the km2's in 33x12.5

they will never see 4wd rock crawling... but i do tend to hit shrubbery a lot, durability is important... but is rock crawling durability the same kind of durability i need?

ive also considered moving up to 17's as im gonna buy new wheels as well. the only concern being spares (i'd be the only one in my circle w/ 17's)

obviously, the baja's are out of the question. it does see DD time, and theyre twice the price. polishing is fine, but its no race vehicle.

please share your thoughts!

Why not AT's?, you would probably get better traction in a speed type environment

CURRENTLY, im running bfg a/t's in 31's, looking for a little more aggressive tread.
like everyone, ive heard the stories about the cardboard thin sidewalls.

i guess when i think about it ive had really good luck with them up till now, havent had any flats whatsoever. just a slow leak

I ran KM's on my Xj and now run Baja's on my Bronco. Why not Baja's? You can find decent deals on RDC and DR and then slap the discount tire coverage on them. I DD my bronco (well, wife does) and the Baja's are fine. You will NEVER cut a sidewall on one of them. haha

i got 5 baja TA 33s off DR for 300$, they were run down to about 50%. no god for the race truck they were on anymore but perfect for my toy :D they are SUPER thick as well, last time out one of my rear tires picked up 6 nails, and i still drove home on it. only one of them actually made it through, the rest got about half way in and bent all the way over.

once you go bajas you'll never go back, they are AMAZING in the dirt. i guess if you spend more time on the pavement tho they may not be the best tires for you, they are kind of soft.

ive bought used shoes before, and got some great deals (hell a buddy is still driving some $200 33 mudds with soft 8s, 2 years later)

but to be honest, im working too much to chase down a deal (and socal for sale seems dead. nobody is buying new tires if their old ones still work, im guessing.)

looking forward to splurging on some new rubber.

.... when you guys say baja's, arent there 2 kinds of baja t/a's? one has a lightning bolt-esq tread, and the other one is the one you'd see on a trophy truck running bfg rubber.? which ones are which?

I've been thinking about the KM2's for my next set to, wondering how they hold up to high speed abuse.The Baja ta's are the "lightning" mud terrain pattern, "projects" usually refers to the all terrain pattern.There are some 33x10.50x15,s for sale,5/$600 and a single that I know of.

.... when you guys say baja's, arent there 2 kinds of baja t/a's? one has a lightning bolt-esq tread, and the other one is the one you'd see on a trophy truck running bfg rubber.? which ones are which?

Baja T/As are the ones with the SS bolts down the center tread.

BFG-Baja-TA-TREAD-2.jpg

Baja T/A Projects are the ones the trophy trucks are running, AFAIK they are a softer compound and not meant for the street at all. (not really too sure about that tho.)

0508or_15z+2001_Ford_F150+Rear_Tire_Cage.jpg

i have no experience with the projects, just going by what i have read snooping around RDC, DR, and the JS pages. ;)

hope this helps.

The race tires, both types, are a harder compound than street tires. They need to resist chunking. They are designed for minimal traction so the trannies of the race trucks don't get torn up as bad with on-off-on-off contact with the ground. The baja MT's do provide better traction than the projects in softer stuff , but have better Braking traction. The projects are pretty plain because the teams usually have their own tire groovers, and fine tune them to their vehicles. Usually sideways grooves on the back tires and vertival grooves on the front for better steering traction.

-Dan

I've been thinking about selling my 5 33x10.50x15 bajas to pick up some 35's but don't have tires to run on so selling and buying would have to be same time.......not likely. oh well

The race tires, both types, are a harder compound than street tires. They need to resist chunking. They are designed for minimal traction so the trannies of the race trucks don't get torn up as bad with on-off-on-off contact with the ground. The baja MT's do provide better traction than the projects in softer stuff , but have better Braking traction. The projects are pretty plain because the teams usually have their own tire groovers, and fine tune them to their vehicles. Usually sideways grooves on the back tires and vertival grooves on the front for better steering traction.

-Dan
I thought they had a harder compound, at least more than a krawler. It would be good to hear from someone who has severely beat on the KM2's.

Back