• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

popping off the bead for balance bead install....

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
How do you guys get the tire off the wheel to insert balancing beads? I have LTB's and I want to throw in some airsoft bb's to balance them. I have no access to a high powered air compressor but I do have one down the road at the gas station. I want to try to get the tire a little off the wheel, just enough to get the beads in but not too far off that I can't air it up again.

any tricks?

You can use a high lift to break the bead but I would probably just go to a tire shop and have them do it.

I tried that with my old set of trxus mt's and it lifted the front end of the jeep off the ground. Yes the air was out and the valve core was removed. I dunno if the ltb's are as tight as the mt's were.

This does not answer the OP question, but i thought i saw a company that had beads that you fit through the valve with the core out...

This does not answer the OP question, but i thought i saw a company that had beads that you fit through the valve with the core out...

Yeah innovative balancing makes dynabeads to pour through the valve core. Problem is they are $60 plus shipping. I used these before (3x) but I don't want to shell out that much $$ again when air soft pellets can be had for $10. Sometimes the tire would develop "static" and the beads will stick all over the place. This makes balancing the tire impossible.

Do the outside bead, they have to move about a quarter as far as the inside bead before it drops free. A Hi-Lift should work fine- if you're having problems move 90 degrees and try again.

Worst case just drive on flat tires for 100 yards or so, that should do the trick. :)

I've been installing my own tires at home for longer than I can remember, and always use a hilift jack under the bumper. Try it.

Yeah innovative balancing makes dynabeads to pour through the valve core. Problem is they are $60 plus shipping. I used these before (3x) but I don't want to shell out that much $$ again when air soft pellets can be had for $10. Sometimes the tire would develop "static" and the beads will stick all over the place. This makes balancing the tire impossible.
I had a similar problem and ended up vacuuming the beads out of ten tires and going back to conventional balancing. It's not static electricity that makes them stick, it's lubricating oil from a compressor used for tire inflation. Unless, you only fill the tires with clean, dry compressed air, nitrogen or CO2, you stand the chance of dynabeads sticking to the tire.

Dyna beads are great. I don't worry too much about them sticking. I only air up with a bicycle pump... never had to worry about oil getting in there.

I've always just taken the tire off the Jeep, layed it down on it's side, and used another vehicle to drive onto the sidewall... works everytime for me, and real simple. :dunno:

I've always just taken the tire off the Jeep, layed it down on it's side, and used another vehicle to drive onto the sidewall... works everytime for me, and real simple. :dunno:

How do you air it back up? I mean can a regular air compressor seat the bead?

Starting fluid works great!

Your best bet is take the tires to a local tire shop and tell them that you just need the bead broken so you can pour the pellets in and then aired back up. Don't forget to take off all the old balancing weights after putting the pellets in.

You do it just like this.

IMG_5232.JPG

You can reseat the bead with a 12v electric compressor, it just takes a littel jiggling around to get it to seat initially. Watch your fingers.

There is no beaking the bead 'just a little bit'. When it lets loose, it lets loose all at once.

I had an issue reseating the beads on my 33x13.5's on 10" wide rims and here are some tricks I've learned. Try putting a ratchet strap around the center of the tire tread and tighten it while pumping air into it. Also if you are using your home compressor don't put the air chuck on it. Just take the hose and press it onto your valve stem. I guess the air chuck does limit the amount of air that comes and and if you just put the hose on you get a bigger rush of air to set the bead. Worked for me on many occasions, hopes it helps. As far as popping the bead I've used other cars driving onto just the tire, sledge hammer, and even a jack hammer once ... that one was iffy lol. My tires were too wide for my dad's bea dpopping machine so we used what we had.

Back