• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Block Question

XJMilan

NAXJA Forum User
How important is that little block that the front of the steering box rests on?

The reason I ask is that I am in the process of doing the durango upgrade with the C-RoK inner and outer plates and my front end is slightly smashed in on that side and the bolts won't line up. It is off by maybe 3/4 thinkness of the bolt. Measuring my old box and the durango box, the durango box is about 1/8" or so longer, which doesn't help.

My options are:
1. not use the block
2. grind the block down
3. try to pull the front end out

1 is the easiest but I do not know what effect it would have.

If 1 is important than I am leaning toward 2 while just grinding small amounts at a time so there will still be contact between the block and the box.

3 is obviously the hardest and something I tried in the past for another reason with little success.

Any help, suggestions or other options would be greatly appreciated.

That block is a collision part. The XJ steering shaft has a plastic part in it that is supposed to shear if the front end is pushed back. The part makes it happen before things go sideways that could kink the shaft and keep it from telescoping.

Personally I have not run one for 8 years. I now run the Dakota box, and like you say, it wont fit, and by the way it wouldn't be centered anymore since the Dakota box needs to be spaced away from the frame further due to its increased piston diameter.

That block is a collision part. The XJ steering shaft has a plastic part in it that is supposed to shear if the front end is pushed back. The part makes it happen before things go sideways that could kink the shaft and keep it from telescoping.

Personally I have not run one for 8 years. I now run the Dakota box, and like you say, it wont fit, and by the way it wouldn't be centered anymore since the Dakota box needs to be spaced away from the frame further due to its increased piston diameter.

Thanks for the info. I just thought it was for resting the steering box on but the collision aspect makes sense after looking at it.

I am spacing the box out with some washers to help center it. I am using this write up as a guide.

http://jeepin.net/features/durango
http://jeepin.net/fotos/installs/durango

Anyone else have any experience without running the block?

BTW, this is what I am talking about if anyone else is curious.

IMG00067-20091031-1814.jpg

Back