• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Steering Problem

KJurasek

NAXJA Forum User
I just added a new lift to my XJ. I think the overall lift with all the goodies is somewhere around 6". The problem I am running into is my Currie steering is not contacting my passenger side sway link mount. Seems pretty tight. I can fix it by cutting the sway link and moving it, however I am beginning to think that I am only fixing a symptom. I have read a bit about some High Steering problems and options on the Net, but I would like to seek some opinions on here.

Have you come across this problem when lifting beyond 5"?

Let me know you remedies.

Any input is appreciated.

KJ
:farmer:

Hard to visualise your problem without pictures. I have high steering on my D44, and ran into clearance issues between the tie rod and the sway bar links. It's not due to lift, it's due to raising the drag link. I lengthened the sway bar brackets that are welded to the axle housing.

You are right. Not sure if the problem was there before, but you are correct about raising the drag link. I added a drop pitman arm, but the problem is still there. I was not sure if I have to change the knuckles or not. I have a front HP D 44 axle that I am building. I am checking to see if I have to address this problem during the build and how.

Thanks.

2h64pwx.jpg

To the links.

With high steer, crossover steering, the tie rod hits both sway-bar mounts. When I built my D44, I insured the mounts were set at such an angle as to clear the tie rod when turning right & left, but didn't think about the necessary clearance to raise the tie rod for removal or install! So insure you have adequate room above the tie rod, as well as for lock-to-lock steering.
Again, without a better description of your "currie" steering, it's hard to be on point with advice/comment.
Normal D44 high steer requires flat top knuckles, with after-market steering arms attached to the top of both, passenger and driver's side knuckles. If using standard "1-ton" TRE's on the ends of the tie rod and drag link, they fit on the top of the steering arms.

Yeah, I checked the stuff that I am building my new HP D44 axle with. The Reid knuckles have adjustable high steer arms. The ones that are on the D 30 (on my vehicle at the moment during the D44 build) don't seem to be as long. I will have to check any clearance issues that may arise with steering. I didn't realize that lifting the vehicle a few more inches would make everything so close.

For now I am going to cut the sway bracket and steering stabilizer mount and move them back a good inch or so.

I saw a mod where a guy moved the sway mount forward of the tie-rod. Is this recommended? I will have to look at this more closely.

Thanks for the info so far.

KJ

Back