• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front locker options:

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
So within a couple weeks, I'm going to be re-gearing FINALLY!!! I already have an OX for the D44 out back, but I can't decide on what to do up front. I need to keep the price fairly low.

So here are my options as I see them:

1. Full carrier, probably auto, locker with 3.73 and up carrier, or
2. buy the 3.73 and up standard carrier, and throw in a lunchbox locker

Just looking for opinions here, cause I'm not sure what to do right now

What transfer case?

same as yours haha. AX-15 trans and NP-231

Oh, forgot to mention: This is my DD also, but I like to do some pretty serious wheeling. How to autolockers handle in turns? there is no power going to it on the road, so "theoretically" I shouldn't notice it?

I'd be inclined to just go for a lunchbox style locker if you can get a carrier super cheap or free.
Should not notice it at all when in two wheel drive.

cause they're fawkin expensive... otherwise I would. If you can fine me another OX for $300 I'll buy it.

Jes: any idea about what I can get the right carrier out of? or is it something that I'm going to have to get special? there's a guy on ebay that has them for $60 shipped...

any 4cyl d30 front end. im assuming a 30 since you didnt say. most or all of the 4cly wranglers and cherokees with the high pinion 30 (assuming thats what you have) should have a 410. the carrier for the 410 and the 373 are the same.

also from what i have gathered the the low pinion and high pinion carriers are the same. just the gears and pinion are diff

Last edited:
alright. Yeah HP dana 30... Now that I think about it, I'm dumb.... cause I knew that! haha I'll have to take a trip to the pick a part yards and see what I can find. I'd hope that they wouldn't charge me more than like $20 or $30 for the damn thing...

Last edited:
Lunchbox locker all the way. 2 main reasons, they are not as pricey and work the same, and if you break something you are not out 500 - 600. Usually the lunchbox lockers shear the little pins or the center pin. The pin kits are cheap. A center pin is cheap. Break a full case locker and you are out at least the $$$ to have it reset up. I ran one in my D30, my D44 and will run one in my D60 when I regear.

right on. Good info.

More opinions? The more the merrier here.

More info. I'm running 35's, and the lockers will be installed with the new gears (4.88) in hopefully about three weeks.

Back