• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ console swap

96TNXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone I am trying to swap in the newer console and am having some trouble with the install when I got home for the jy I was doing the install and relized that the e brake didnt fit so I ran inside and got on :NAXJA: did some searching to find that I should have got the e brake assembly from that cherokee but I didnt know that till I was home so I was wanting to know what else do I need to get when I go back tomorrow. Also how much moding is needed to make the newer assembly to work??

TIA

Go underneath the Jeep, get the cables, and everything they're hooked to from the ebrake handle to the drums. Mix and match between that and what you have for the old brakes.

You can make the older handle work by turning it a bit, or trimming the console, which is what I did.

Yes, easiest way that I ahve seen would be to just shaving a bit of material off the console.

anyone have pics of this?? I want to see how bad it looks and bending the handle isnt to bad of an idea and could be cheaper then driving 45 mins to the jy

You don't bend the handle, when I swapped mine in I removed the front bolt and loosened the rear bolt for the e brake. Then moved the front towards the driver about an inch and drilled a new hole. The bolts in there are a coarse thread so they will bite into the sheet metal and tighten down good if you drill it a little smaller.

I just used the old parts by grinding off the rivet that hold the old stuff to the old handle, and used a bolt with a locking thread to bolt it back together. put a small L bracket on the small hole on the top right of the new bracket to hold it down.I also was able to use the old gasket bucket that sealed the unit up.You will have to grind the hole just a littlte to get the old bracket to fit. where cable attached to the new bracket to get the new solid rod through.and then drill a hole where the cable used to attach and bolt to it. You have to watch which direction you turn the old rod or it could hang up.I will try to get some pictures of it works great..

Alright I have the entire 97 ebrake assembly and need to know what parts I need or dont need and how you hooked this up I might even do a write up on this since its so confusing and the information is scattered everywhere!!!

I didn't use the 97+ brake lever just used my original one and redrilled like I said. Lines up just fine and no need to fiddle with the brake setup.

I think eHall did this, or someone using that ID on jeepforum.com did.

PM eHall and inquire.

I used a turnbuckle. ebrake worked fine til i ripped the cables out of my drums wheeling. used self tapping bolts to secure the 97+ ebrake.

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2382.jpg

Back