• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand axels and diff

seth15210

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 xj with a 8.25 rearend in it. I just aquired a 8.25 out of a 98 grand. And I wanna know if the axels and differential in it would swap over to my xj axel. I got it for the brake setup but then relized it's a 29 spline with limited slip compared to my 27 spline open rearend. I find lots of brake swap info but no Axel swap info. So if anyone knows tell me if it'll work.

Well first off Grands or coiled in the rear so the brackets will have to be redone. I also think that they have a weaker aluminum housing (correct me if im wrong). Thats about all i can give you sorry.

i think the weaker housings is the d44a which has the aluminum stuff.

I believe he is asking if the GC gears and diff carrier, as well as the axle shafts will swap into an XJ axle housing. Is this correct Seth?

I wasn't aware the 8.25 ever came on the Grands... I could be completely wrong though! Just make sure it's not a d44a or a d35. The diff should swap over (else it wouldn't be an 8.25) but I am not sure about the axleshafts.

EDIT: just grabbed the 98 ZJ parts catalog off the shelf, there in fact was never an 8.25 for the 98 ZJ from the factory. What you're looking at is (a) an OEM d35 (b) an OEM d44a (c) an ZJ 8.25 someone swapped in custom. If it's not (c) you can guarantee it won't work, if it's (c) the diff carrier + gears should fit but the axles *might* be custom length, not sure.

I wasn't aware the 8.25 ever came on the Grands... I could be completely wrong though! Just make sure it's not a d44a or a d35. The diff should swap over (else it wouldn't be an 8.25) but I am not sure about the axleshafts.

EDIT: just grabbed the 98 ZJ parts catalog off the shelf, there in fact was never an 8.25 for the 98 ZJ from the factory. What you're looking at is (a) an OEM d35 (b) an OEM d44a (c) an ZJ 8.25 someone swapped in custom. If it's not (c) you can guarantee it won't work, if it's (c) the diff carrier + gears should fit but the axles *might* be custom length, not sure.

Yeah thats what i was thinking to. Either way you probably wanna stick with your 8.25 you have in it now and safe up for LSD or find a used one.

err wow, I misspoke... (c) an XJ 8.25 someone swapped in, not (c) an ZJ 8.25 someone swapped in! :dunce:

In that case it should work but your going to have to redo all the brackets. Hopefully you can do that yourself our your looking at spending a good bit for a shop to do it. Almost better off finding another 8.25 if you cant do the work yourself.

Back