• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How could this of happened?

ChristmasXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So driving down the road. Had some pretty bad death wobble as usual. and bam truck dies.

im like o sweet awesome. Get of the the truck pop the hood and the engine is slanted and pushed forward. Im like wth. Get underneath and find the motor mount totally sheered off the engine and then the alternator cracked. Awesome eh.

Pulled into a buddy shop and the mechanic said there was no way that the suspension problems could of caused this to happen.

The only route to take now is to pull the engine tap the bolts remove and replace motor mounts. The driver side motor mount bushing blew up also.

So death wobble not only was scary but it was death to the xj.

2hh2kjc.jpg

My wife had the same thing happen to her. She was on the highway when it happened... when she pulled over and popped the hood, the fan was touching the fan shroud. Limped the XJ home, bought a bolt extracter kit, and a rethread kit. I think i was able to get one bolt out, and had to drill and tap one of the other ones, this was a few years ago. Did it with the engine in... make sure you can't get drill in there before you pull the motor. That xj did not have death wobble... not sure what failed... motor mount, bolts? But... you having "death wobble as usual" maybe it put stress on the motor mounts. or maybe this is more common.

ya death wobble is a common thing with my xj. I been working on curing it. i checked to see if i could get a drill to all 3 and it was impossible. probably drill the bottom 2 but not the top.

I think all the shaking, torquing and tweeking put too much pressure on the mounts, they broke. So the suspension problems DID cause it.

The suspension PARTS didn't cause it. Having bad DW "as usual" caused it.

wow dude, that sucks

ya i know what caused it. the mechanic swore on everything he knew that there was no way death wobble caused it lol

then he's never actually been in an XJ during a death-wobble episode.

i agree that the DW did cause the motor mounts to shear. the suspension is connected to the frame, and the violent shaking has to go somewhere. im sure the whole jeep shakes. something will eventually give with enough violent movement like that

Will the mechanic "swear on everything he knows" that he can fix the death wobble?! I agree... until he experiences it he doesn't even know.

i explain death wobble to them. its actually tire shop with a mechanic bay. Im like dude this wobbles so badddd when i hit a bump. hes like ah its just the tires. Im like no dude the actual steering goes insane.

ha yeah, he doesn't have any idea what death wobble is then. i'm glad i never broke anything when i was having the death wobble problem. the cure for mine was an adjustable tracbar.

ya im getting a new adjustable traction bar new HD traction bar mount control arm drop brackets and new adjustable control arms hopefully fix this very soon

Time to get a new set of engine mounts, and lower your engine to gain access to the bolt shanks in the block.

YES the engine mount bolts FAILED.

Use grade 5 bolts as replacements. Grade 8's are a PITA to drill out and extract.

When I bought my XJ I had to do this very same thing, because that is how I bought it.

Oh and 2 out of 3 bolts will hold the engine just fine. (don't ask how I know:eyes:).

ETA: Sweet I got page 2

I booger welded the mounts on the block after they sheared. Now that's awesome! :) Good luck.

PS Your mechanic is half right. No suspension SHOULD cause this, however I'm doubtful he's experienced true DW. When I had DW it was just a semi loose TB bolt.

Well, yet another motor mount bolts sheared off in the block story... I think that finally pushed me over the edge. Looks like I'll be replacing the engine brackets at the same time I install some new motor mounts. Might as well get rid of the factory bolts while they still have heads on them! :rolleyes:

I went through this last week. big pot hole bit mine. In three hours time had old ones out new bolts in and on the road. Iremoved both mounts and used left handed drill bits. Drilled small pilot hole then used a bigger bit. They grabbed and spun the broken bolt right out

Back